New UK Tint Laws

Guest Tint Bob

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Wiz

Well got my first customer today gave him the talk about VLT and the law ,then he got out a copy of REVVS car mag which had bit on window tinting and the LAW,

It says you can get points on your licence and a fine for dark tint or just a fine for say 35% tint ,and just a smack on the face for 50% or above, but he still went for 35% on the front doors :thumb

Guest sdtintin

35% on the front for me dam I still got 2 kids to feed and a mortgage to pay ,I always tell customers that any tint we put on the front windows can be deemed illegal as the law states 70%vlt ,up to now ive only had 1 person that has been stopped for tint ,well it was a friend whos accord I tinted in 20% he actualy got stopped for illegal plates and they then started on about the tint ,he wasnt told to remove it tho :thumb just told that he could face a fine so ima gunna keep tinting the fronts

Guest Tint Bob

Well as I started the post I must confess that we have carried on as normal, 35% on the fronts.

I have spoken to both film companies that we use and they have had toed the company line of not to put film on the front drop glass.

Had a muppit in yesterday who's Vehicle was booked for today, he tried to persuade me to do 20% all round, I showed him several vehicles with 2035 and 1535 film on but he would not have it.

He has "friends" in the local traffic plod and their instructions are still the same that not to bother if you can see the driver.

They also told him that he was unlikly to get nicked if he had darker than 20%!!!!

TintBob

As I saw lot of illegal tinted carZZZ in UK - laws means nothing, or....  :spit  :lol We only xplain cutomers that discussion with policeman will be their ....Streetracing is also illegal .... :lol

Tinting the sides of the car has been illegal in my state since '92. we try to push people to go with 50% on the side an 35% rear window. if they want it darker there on there own. I even have a wavier that I get people to sign. I doesn't hold up in court but at least if someone gets a ticket its in there mind that they agreed to take there chances.

If someone does come back with a ticket I agree to retint the 2 frnts 70% at a reduced rate. makes them happy that you tried to help them out.

The law hasnt effected business to much but in NJ tint inspections are part of your State saftey inspection done yearly that hurts Windshield strip and dark around back NO FRNT DOORS the state checks that every year

So until that happens dont worry to much

Guest sdtintin

did a pos range rover yesterday the guy comes in n wants limo all around im like I cant I say 35$ on the front doors 5% on the rest he said it wont match ,then asks if I can just sell him the tint to put on the front ,helll no eventuly he settles for 35% on the front 20% in the rear

I enquired with the ggf (glazing and glass federation),my suppliers and a rep. for the department of transport about the recent events on the laws concerning the vlt. only my supplier got back to me (and that took a week!) they said they are going to get back to me! anyway,I'm still supplying 35%on the fronts,and will continue to do so. the police view on it is,if they can see its lighter at the front then you'll be ok unless they are having a bad day! normally you wont get pulled unless your being an idiot!(speeding,etc.) then when they have a word with you about your speed etc.then your tint comes into it, so far not one of my customers have came back due to being stopped. over the xmas holidays I was tailed by the police 3 times! just your usual traffic cop on his rounds,if he was that bothered by the vlt limit on my car he had ample oppertunity to pull me but never did! I know most of the tinters on this forum say stick to the laws,dont go lower but if I was to stop installing 35% on the fronts then I might as well give up tinting!

forgot to add! I have had tint on my cars for just over 10 years now,and I have never been pulled for it! the cars I have now,fiat cinq. sporting and a mr2 both have 35% on the fronts that is the lightest I've ever had on my own cars (my first car that I had tinted was an astra gte with 5% all round! DOH) :shock

I've read all the comments on this topic, but have to admit I'm still worried about the implications of one of my customers killing someone and me gettings sued! like most of u I only apply 35% min to front windows, and get a disclaimer signed, but in the eyes of our so-called law its not worth the paper its written on, if as a professional tinter u know full-well u shouldn't b doing it. I feel we are all 'stick'in our heads in the sand', and hope'in it'll go away. The recent (Jan'04) notice from the GGF state all tinters have an obligation to contact all their previous customers to get t**s removed, including all garages u deal with. Can't help thinking they really mean business this time, and it'll take a tint company like mine to be sued out of existence before the industry starts to act.

Has anyone started to compile a list of tinters in the UK in order to put a case together from the industry about safe application of front 35%? If not I am will to help in doing that....what do people think???

Archived