New UK Tint Laws

Guest Tint Bob

Guest Tint Bob

Just heard from my main film supplier that the addmendment to the Road Traffic Act has been approved and will become law from the 1st Jan 2004.

They have tidyed up the wording (sounds like liar blair and the EU Constitution !!)

so that it will be easier to nick people. Basically if you don't know (and you should if you are in the UK) the UK law states that the front drop glass must have at least a 70% VLT and the front screen a 75% VLT.

I have also heard that one of the major players in the UK wll not be fitting film to the front drop glass from the 1st Jan.

I am not sure how to play this, whilst I think the law is an Ass (35% film on front drop glass is fine by me) I am concerned about the insurance Implications for the client.

I am also worried about being sued.

So over to you UK guys, give me your thoughts.

TintBob

UK

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DapaaTints

That was the law anyway I understand I think they have just brushed up on the law to confirm that this VLT includes any application of window film. In Manchester the police have for a few months already been upholding this law. What a pain in the a***. Is it "P" who have stopped fitting to the front driver and passenger.

This is bad news!!!

this is one thing which is really annoying me,I'm not one to lie down and just go with the flow so I'll argue with any police officer until I'm happy! where I was trained (johnsons uk,southhampton) they told me not to go darker than 35% on the front and as every single motor accessory shop in the uk sell window tint in three darknesses I.e limo,dark smoke and light smoke all of them state that light is legal on the front but the rest are only for rear windows! now I know the law is different everywhere you go but I have 35% on my fronts and 20% on all the rears and at night I can see out fine,my local competitor installs what ever you want!!! the arguement here in the uk is- why is 35% illegal while football stars,pop stars, political vehicles get away with darker film because they need privacy? one rule for them and one for us? not on! they get away with it! who sets the vlt rules that we have to comply with in the uk? why,when you ask the police cant they give you a straight answer on the rules,all they say to me is 'we wouldnt recommend getting your windows tinted' yes but whats the limit? reply-'hmmm,it's a bit of a grey area but we wouldnt recommend blah blah! in the usa they have a limit, the police know it and stick to it,unlike the uk where it's still a 'grey' area! I've asked johnsons about this and never got a reply? they say they are working with the road traffic regulators to sort this out but I cant see it?

I am based in m/c uk and have been pulled for having 35% on my front two windows. after I removed the film and had the vehicle inspected I put the 35% film back on again!! my supplier has told me to install 35% until otherwise told, but I do know that the two front windows should allow between 40%-30% vlt so a 50% film should allow that.

The Dept of Trans (VOSA) were pulling everyone with tint in Stockport, Rusholme and Princess Parkway. They were also checking diesel vehicle's for Red diesel but I think this was just a lame excuse to hide the fact that they wanted to make our lives hell.

The officer who pulled me was an arse sorry to say I only had my car for a couple of days when I got pulled, I had the drivers window open very slightly so when he approached me I went to push the window button to open it fully and by accident I closed it!!! lol straight away I got the third degree "thats not a nice thing to do is it???" he said WTF!! anyway when we got to the testers with the LT equipment I told the officer I tint for a living and he was taking the food out of my kids mouths..lol he went and told the inspector who inturn approached me and asked if I tint vehicles to which I replied " nope :mad I am on the dole" he looked at me while eyeing up my Merc CLK and issued me with a Prohibition Order preventing me from driving my vehicle until I removed the film! anyway the point is they dont know their heads from their arses and im still tinting but only 35% or 50% on the front two windows I wont do darker than that.

well hope everyone has a happy xmas and a great new year lets keep on tinting guys!! :mad:mad

I'm so glad there is other people in the same boat as me! I will still install 35% as well, I'm also putting together a complaint against the roads department,I have an appointment soon with the police department to find out more on the vlt laws. who set them? I also want to find out how many deaths were directly connected to drinking or speeding or tinted windows in the last year,something tells me that tinting will be less than 10 for the whole of the uk?? try and argue my point, also the police are quick at telling us that 35% is too dark,but personally I dont see how??? but what about people that dont have tint but use dark sunglasses? those glasses would measure a lot darker than 35% but they are legal too wear? fiar enough,in court they might say that if it gets dark you can take them off,but where in the law does is state times I.e am or pm?? all it says is that your window should have a vlt of whatever but as I said what about sunglasses? also,us,joe bloggs can be told to remove our tint if they deem it too dark but I know for a fact,people in the limelight I.e football stars,have their windows tinted dark all round so they dont get any bother while out in their cars,hows that ok and they get left with it on? I'm not going to give up on this one!

A real smart operator will take advantage of the situation by fitting the required 70/35 combination and extoll the virtues of you only fitting sanctioned legalised tint over the competition who doesn't.

Taking on the police one on one only helps to stir up a hornet's nest that you'll never will.

Just my 2 cents. Merry Xmas to all.

Devil

Guest sdtintin

ive always known the limit was 70% and I tell my customers this before I even start the job ,I always use 35 on the fronts sometimes 20 as 70 is basicly factory glass ,I personaly rekon we all need to get togeher and try to sort this out ,we should contact every tint shop in the uk and somehow approach the ministry of transport etc to prove that 35 % is ok for the front roll ups ,hell 35 is so light you hardly notice it :thumbdown

Archived