New UK Tint Laws

Guest Tint Bob

hey sd I agree! I received a letter from my suppliers(johnsons) and they are basically telling me to keep to the guide lines and observe the vlt limit! pretty rich considering that when I trained with them I was told to install no darker than 35% on the fronts??? anyway,the letter also states that johnsons uk are working with the GGF to establish a 40% vlt standard(combination of glass and film together) 40% sonds right to me but who are the GGF? anyway you've got my support and when I have time I'll start getting some e mails going to see how johnsons got on!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Bob

Hey Guys

I'm pleased that my post has generated some interesting replies, however I am a little concerend.

The problem with this tightening of the law means you and I could be taken to the cleaners, your business, house everything gone because some monkey whose car we/you tinted went out and killed a kid and in his defence he says "I could not see him/her"

Plod accident investigation unit comes along checks the car, finds window film, who filmed it? etc etc etc

It's called corporate manslaughter, yes I know it sounds far fetched but talk to any copper or lawyer and it a possible course of action.

What we need to have is a disclaimer that your customer (and Dealers) sign, the only problem with disclaimers that I have seen so far is that because we know the legal situation a disclaimer does not count.

I think it needs the GGF (Glass & Glazing Federation) and the Professional Window Filming Businesses to get together with a Barrister and have a document drawn up, I am sure it only needs the correct wording to get this right.

Afterall how do you convict somebody of having a 35% VLT on the front drop glass?

Have you seen a light measuring meter that has a calibration certificate?

Do you know of a UK company that can test a light meter and supply a calibration certificate?

If you get caught speeding (Gatso, Gun) or stopped for DD the authorities must supply a certificate to prove the machine is working correctly (If challenged) so why not for window film?

Look Forward to more discussion.

TintBob

PS The Police site that somebody mentioned with the wrong info, it is not really, they are refering to light rejection ie 75% VLT 25% light rejection 70% VLT 30% Light rejection.

Some film companies do it this way, although it would be nice if the Ploice could get it right!!

I've just read the report,it pretty much agrees with what we are trying to argue about,pity it recommends the use of no more than 30% on the front sides where as we would prefer the limit to be around the 35 to 40% area to take into account the tint already in the glass. thing is when was this report done? and what was the outcome? did they get anywhere with it? I'll check with the ggf so see if I can find out more!

Guest DapaaTints
:thumb From my understanding of the report mate especially third paragraph from the bottom that the GGF recommends that no tint be applied forward of the B Post as this may be in breach of the revised regulations.

yes but the way I read it they dont disagree that light to medium tint forward of the b pillar is ok, they say in other countries where the vlt limit on the front has been 70% then reduced to 35 or 40% there has been no change in accidents etc. plus they say they have done tests with cars at night with various degrees of tint and found that only the really dark tint 20% and below caused any sort of problems with seeing out of the front windows! thing that gets me is, the report says that any light or medium tint is ok but they state that the dark or limo tint on the fronts is what is giving us the problems,us pro tinters have known that since day 1.but then they go and recommend a limit of 30% tint! which seems perfect it also allows us to use 35% on the front which is what we have been installing from day one! I would like to know when was this report done and was it taken into account?

Archived