Looking to Install a Clear Bra Myself?

Guest Roger555

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even as a film manufacturer that stands to make more money selling you retail kit, I would still urge you to seek professional installation on that model, especially on black. HOWEVER, you'll never know if you don't try and the worst that could happen is that you would be out some money and a little pride.

I know a great installer in your area that might let you tag along and watch him in action for a little while to help you make your decision. Give me a call at 800-447-9928 and I will try to get you in touch. If you do go watch him, just keep in mind that just because Michelangelo made painting the Sistine Chapel look easy, it wasn't. It took years of practice.

... then when I do the bumper it will be in my living room completely stripped down with dawn laying on plastic.

Tip # 1. Taking the bumper off isn't going to make it easier, it will make it impossible. There, I just saved you one messed up $300 bumper pattern and probably 8 hours of your time.

Tip # 2. I have more money tied up in proper install tools than most jobs cost including film, you'll need more than one squeegee and a heat gun.

Tip # 3. Even if you make only $10.00 per hour, you're better off having a professional do it because it will take you many days and several attempts at the bumper. Your time is more valuable at your day job than fiddling with something WAY over your head...this ain't flat glass my friend.

Guest untouchable

You will be better off leaving the bumper on the car. Pulling and stretching can somtimes require a good amount of force ,and you will need the bumper secured.

Guest tint51
Sorry nothing closer right now, and yes I do remove every window to ensure absolutely no dust gets in between. While this certainly sets me apart from the professionals, I have never had a "professional tint job" done that was better my own work. I just cant stand shops that cut corners cutting at the molding or getting dirt and debris between the tint. Not to mention its hard to determine if they are really using the quality tint they say they are using. The rear window is tricky but I learned how to heat shrink in about 20 minutes not very hard at all. Perhaps I have just had bad experiences in the past, or never found the right shops but it has really forced me to DIY for everything I wanted done on my car which is half the fun for me learning how to these things.

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

IMG_8553.jpg

IMG_8645.jpg

Whats the hardest Rear window youve done? Try a 94 intergra four door.. Then we can talk..

Guest tint51
... then when I do the bumper it will be in my living room completely stripped down with dawn laying on plastic.

Tip # 1. Taking the bumper off isn't going to make it easier, it will make it impossible. There, I just saved you one messed up $300 bumper pattern and probably 8 hours of your time.

Tip # 2. I have more money tied up in proper install tools than most jobs cost including film, you'll need more than one squeegee and a heat gun.

Tip # 3. Even if you make only $10.00 per hour, you're better off having a professional do it because it will take you many days and several attempts at the bumper. Your time is more valuable at your day job than fiddling with something WAY over your head...this ain't flat glass my friend.

Tip#1 is correct.. if you do take it off, you will just fold the bumper in half.. you need pressure get the water out..

popcorn.gif:thumb:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

Oh lord, this is a thread for the hall of fame!!!

Hey roger, gonna have to put my 2 cents in here. I am a tint and PPF trainer and designer. When I go do a training event, its sched no less than three full days. Second, We never ever ever take the bumper or hood or fender off the car. you Need that force there to pull and stretch. Third, we have either a lot of kits or a plotter and a roll of film ($1000). Fourth, your first and second lays are not gonna stay on the car. Fifth, WE NEVER TEACH A TRAINEE ON A BLACK VEHICLE.

Its cool to see someone wanting to tackle it themself. But Trust us on this, its a diff animal then window film. Honest opinion, take it somewhere before you get in over your head.

by the way Good Luck cuz I am sure your gonna do what your gonna do.

Archived