Darkest film to NET 35% VLT

So this question has arisen again today with a customer having gotten a ticket out of state. OK. statutes call for 25% vlt. Customer has 20% applied and needs an explanation. How do you guys explain the vlt to folks with adding film to what already exists in the glass itself?

I always explain that the law applies to the combination of the film and the glass (net) and that the glass itself even though it appears "clear" has some reduction to it. So in my case the installation of a 35% film will put them in at the limit of 28%. I try to go into as little detail as possible to avoid confusing them.

Had a lady few weeks ago come in getting GA legal 35%.  She never mention the car being registered out of state...she asked for specifically 35% legal.  Calls us in a few weeks because she failed inspection in NC.  She has to have it removed to pass which will be done locally.  She then wants us to tint it again in 40% for free.  We explain to her the laws are different and that she never mentioned NC.  She went into the whole "I'm a woman and don't know" defense.  Nope.

Archived