TX tint law Change

SuperSetKing

The law states 25% on the front two windows with a tolerance of 5%. In a nutshell if the front two windows meter 20% or higher it will pass.This is the information DPS sent to me for your reference or if any customers want to read it directly - http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/VI-87.pdf Note page 4-28, Item 20-32.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The law states 25% on the front two windows with a tolerance of 5%. In a nutshell if the front two windows meter 20% or higher it will pass.This is the information DPS sent to me for your reference or if any customers want to read it directly - http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/VI-87.pdf Note page 4-28, Item 20-32.

I can't get that to open...but will try on my home computer...here in Rusk County Texas the DPS and inspection are under the impression that its 25% WITH NO TOLERANCE. Which i know can't be right.The inspection stations are kickin them back at 24.9% and i think its :lol2 ! I need to read your document and print me out a few! :lol2

I can't get that to open...but will try on my home computer...here in Rusk County Texas the DPS and inspection are under the impression that its 25% WITH NO TOLERANCE. Which i know can't be right.The inspection stations are kickin them back at 24.9% and i think its :bs ! I need to read your document and print me out a few! :beer

Want me to foward you the email?

So a taxi can have limo all the way? Am I readin that right? :rimshot

Oh and Tdz..... WAT UP!!?? :beer

That what i got out of it too

Guest Justin Sralla

This is dated 2005. The information you received is incorrect. Keep it metering 25 net or above on the front in Texas or our law will eventually turn into 35 net and above. That goes for the inspection also. Nothing has been amended to the senate bill 589 that came out earlier this year.

TEXAS LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Senate Bill 589

To: Texas Manufacturers, Distributors, and Installers

Date: April 19, 2010

Subject: Senate Bill 589 (House Bill 4523)

The Legislative Alert dated December 11, 2009, provided updated information to members relative to the implementation of Senate Bill 589 which became effective on September 1, 2009. It was noted that the actual language of the legislation did not seem to represent the original intent of the legislative leadership, and it was suggested that members carefully consider retaining the 25 percent standard to avoid installing products that may have been considered illegal in the future.

There have been no legislative initiatives to amend the adopted language during the 2010 Legislature; and the adopted language, Senate Bill 589, which is now the law, has been published as the regulatory standard on the Department of Public Safety Inspection website (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm).

The specific language contained in the regulation for rear side and a rear window is as follows: Side Windows to the Rear of the Driver

(Revised September 1, 2009)

These windows are completely exempted from regulation under the Texas Transportation Code. Reference Legislation: Senate Bill 589.

Rear Window

A sunscreening device can be applied to the rear window of the vehicle if the following conditions are met.If a motor vehicle is equipped with an outside mirror on each side of the vehicle that reflects to the vehicle operator a view of the roadway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle then there are no restrictions regarding the sunscreening devices applied to the rear window.

If a motor vehicle is not equipped with such mirrors then the rear window must meet the following standards: Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.

All members should fully comply with the adopted standards unless changes are made during the current legislative session at which time members will be advised.

Hey Justin, This info was given to me from One of my managers.... I work for Madico. I am pretty sure its correct. I Highly doubt Madico sends out office memos to the distributors if it is not correct. Further more, We are one of the founding members of IWFA, so we try and stay properly informed in this business we call film.

I have posted about this many times.

The link you posted was the old rules SSK. I was recently sent the new rules...but it ONLY pertains to inspection procedures to coincide with the state law.

For years you could pass inspection if your front two windows metered 20%. All they did was change that to 25% so its the same with the law. Now all they have to do is make front license plates inspectable since its the law to have one up front, and all inspectable items will be what the law requires.

So, really, nothing has changed. I didnt see if they took the exemption out for 1988-older window tinting. All it said was if you had an 87 Mustang with limo throughout, it wasnt an inspectable item due to the age of the vehicle...but still be against the law.

Guest tintjackal

Isnt this thread basically pertaining to inspection requirements? And yes SSK yours is old news. I beleive the newest state laws a year or so ago changed also is this correct?

Archived