Ticket issue. Advice???

Guest edwardd527

Guest edwardd527

I received an email today from a customer did workfor 2 months ago. The car was a acura tl the bad ass one (turbo or what ever)a very nice car...the customer chose suntek carbon 35% which I installed. The wife, whom drives the car received a ticket and the customer claims that she was told it was 25%(which there is no carbon 25% to my knowledge nor have I ever purchased a 25%).

The customer has requested that I either refund the money or replace it with 50%. I was very clear when explaining the legalities as always. I expect a call from the customer very soon so I could use some advice.

I am prepared to explain that I don't carry a 25%, that the area in which the citation was received is wel known for tint tickets, that the tint meter may be inaccurate or needs to be calibrated, or perhaps there was dirt on the window, also the fact that the glass will add to the meter reading up to 5%...

Anyone got any good advice?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filmslayer

if it is a legal job tell her to bite ya !!! if it is not and you explained this to her husband tell her to bite him !!! :cool

not knowing where your from doesn't help us ...

Guest Pacific Islander

1. Listen to the customer, allow them to vent, simply be the sponge, DO NOT in any way or fasion show your frustration

2. Prove to them politely you do not have any sort of 25% available (the meter reading is tint + glass and probably rounded off)

3. Show them sincerely your concern...thank them for bringing their serious situation to your attention as it may save others from going through the same thing. Take digital pictures of meter reading without glass, then another picture with glass, record the difference. Make sure they are there to witness the readings. Ask for email address to send the copies of pictures taken.

4. Offer to go with them to traffic court and assist in arguing "their" findings with "your" assistance

4. Provide them with a deal...no charge on removal and a discounted amount for the replacement

Hope this helps.

yes meter the car yourself so that you know just how dark the window is. if it is showing 25% and you put 35% film on that means that the glass was at about 85 to 90 percent before you applied the film to the glass. Not sure of how your state tint laws are but in TN we are allowed to apply no darker then 35% film to the front doors of a car no matter how dark the window is to start with. Some of the newer cars i am doing will usually read around 26 to 27% after i apply 35% to the window. And i use suntek and johnson film. they both show about the same on the glass.

The simple fact is that much of the glass come from the factory have more tint than in the past. To run a legit shop today will probably require you to have a tint meter in stock at all times. That way you can test the glass before you install the film to be sure what it measures. This will tell you what film you can legally install on a particular vehicle. Many companies have 38%, 40% and so on. You may have to stock more variety, but, to keep legit, this may be the only way to allow a customer to have the darkest film they legally can.

Guest S and S

If you are in a state where the law says 35% (like here in NC) then the carbon 35 will NOT pass inspection on a newer car. I have to use HP40 and it meters around 35% on a meter.

Guest edwardd527
if it is a legal job tell her to bite ya !!! if it is not and you explained this to her husband tell her to bite him !!! :lol

I am a Cleveland tinter. 50% is legall in the front of all vehicles and no restrictions on the rear. this custy chose 35 knowing it was beyond the legal limit.BTWthis car was a new purchase and i removed 20% beforeapplying the 35. this(bending the rule) has always been very common here. i guess nits time to b uy another tintmeter my last on was left at my previous and only employer and i have not needed one since. especially if the factory glass is getting darker without me knowing...

Guest edwardd527
if it is a legal job tell her to bite ya !!! if it is not and you explained this to her husband tell her to bite him !!! :lol

I am a Cleveland tinter. 50% is legall in the front of all vehicles and no restrictions on the rear. this custy chose 35 knowing it was beyond the legal limit.BTWthis car was a new purchase and i removed 20% beforeapplying the 35. this(bending the rule) has always been very common here. i guess nits time to b uy another tintmeter my last on was left at my previous and only employer and i have not needed one since. especially if the factory glass is getting darker without me knowing...

I forgot to mention F LBJ 06

Archived