Store front Help

I had a customer ask me about doing a store front today and I told him that I could come by and give an estimate. I have mostly been doing automotive but I have done some residential in the past and pretty much get the concept of it. I have never done any commercial/stores before and just had a few questions. I have not even looked at the windows yet but the custy said they are wanting something light that will knock down the sun pretty good and block some heat as well. They also said that they put up the static cling signs in the windows and they don't want there customers to ride by the store and not see them in the window. I am using suntek now and I was thinking something along the lines of ulvds 50 or 40. The only question I guess I have about the install is do you still use something to guide down as you are trimming the sides or do you pull gaskets or does it just vary. Thanks for any help guys.

I had a customer ask me about doing a store front today and I told him that I could come by and give an estimate. I have mostly been doing automotive but I have done some residential in the past and pretty much get the concept of it. I have never done any commercial/stores before and just had a few questions. I have not even looked at the windows yet but the custy said they are wanting something light that will knock down the sun pretty good and block some heat as well. They also said that they put up the static cling signs in the windows and they don't want there customers to ride by the store and not see them in the window. I am using suntek now and I was thinking something along the lines of ulvds 50 or 40. The only question I guess I have about the install is do you still use something to guide down as you are trimming the sides or do you pull gaskets or does it just vary. Thanks for any help guys.

My advice would be to sell it and have someone with more experience do the work. With only a year mixed auto/resi, you may dissapoint the customer. Im just sayin.

I don't know if I agree with that. Why not get yourself the experience and do it yourself. Bring PLENTY of film for a few redo's. No need to pass on a perfect chance to learn, just be prepared to make them happy with the job. Then, if there is a next time for FG work you don't have to call in someone else.

And I would use a hard card for trimming, sometimes I pull the rubbers on the sides and bottom depending on how dark the film is. ULVDS 50 I wouldn't bother removing them, I pull them if I go darker than 40. But if your worried about trimming than maybe pulling them will give you a little breathing room. :krazy

I don't know if I agree with that. Why not get yourself the experience and do it yourself. Bring PLENTY of film for a few redo's. No need to pass on a perfect chance to learn, just be prepared to make them happy with the job. Then, if there is a next time for FG work you don't have to call in someone else.

And I would use a hard card for trimming, sometimes I pull the rubbers on the sides and bottom depending on how dark the film is. ULVDS 50 I wouldn't bother removing them, I pull them if I go darker than 40. But if your worried about trimming than maybe pulling them will give you a little breathing room. :krazy

B/c bringing extra film cuts in to profit, and when someone sees you constantly re-doing windows, they second guess there decision. IMO a better way would be to help another installer that is experienced. You can find someone that wants to make a lil extra money and still make a good profit. You get the job and get experience. How many times have we said just b/c you did a few cars after watching youtube doesnt mean you should start a biz by charging people to "learn"? He already stated he hasnt done commercial which I bet has much larger window than resi.

I would also not reccommend pulling gaskets.

Thanks guys. I feel confident in being able to do the windows I was just curious on the gasket pulling because I know I have seen windows in stores before that the gasket looked like it could be pulled I just wasn't sure. I also didn't want to make the wrong decision on tint. I do have more than one year experience I need to update this thing I am working on more like 5 years so I think it is something I could tackle. I didn't get an answer on the signs though should they have any problems with thoughs they are the static cling kind. Also they called me today and need a drive through window that they need done asap. It is a single pane window and they want it dark would I have any problems with putting a high performance 20 or 5% on it or should I go with a residential bonze. Thanks again guys. I go for the estimate tomorrow.

Hm...I would have thought hiring an extra man that may or may not be needed would cut into profits as well. 5 years in auto you will do ok, worst case you waste a little film and learn a bunch. Or you could pay someone to do it....make very little money and be right back where you started next time you get a call for a commercial job. :spit

If you go with the bronze, don't limp wrist it or it will take about 2 years to dry.

:thumb

I use my blue max for almost all my flat glass work. Oh but make sure you put some azz into it. CDF film is normally alot thougher then auto film. :lol2

Not sure what film you go with, but be careful with those round suction cup sign hooks. Ive seen them cause a white foggy ring in the film. Just tell them to give the film 30 days to cure before stinking them on the windows , you'll be fine. I wouldnt bother removing gaskets either. Good luck!

Archived