2012 vw passat

Guest thatsnappyguy

Guest thatsnappyguy

every window on this car is a challenge. all the door panels have to be removed in order to get it done right where theres no gap on the sides and the film is under the bottom gasket. the 1/4's are really tight. the rear glass isnt that bad, but its no cake walk. break out the titan, the bulldozer with the scrubbie on the end, the grey ez reach, and a 2" smoothie for for the 1/4's. this car took me 3 hours to complete, compared to an hour for a camry/maxima.

It is really not that hard. I don't remove any panels. Tape the felt and go to town. Car takes about an hour. My one gripe with this car is the c pillars. They usually are touching the glass so I just pop them off a bit but still a little pain to get the back on.

I pop everything out. The rear glass shelf comes out in 5 minutes and the side panels just pull out and then up. The quarter window is then nicely exposed and easy as cake to tint. Same with the back window. As for the doors. I take the door panels off and the gasket comes out but i would really lilke to get the seal off somehow. I hate trying to tuck the tint in. It just drives me nuts.

Did one today with Crystalline 50. Next time I may pull the rear shelf being that I had to pull it anyway to redo the back window after the first time failed. First redo on back window in a looong time.Not hard to pull anyway. Comes out in two minutes. Doors a real challenge without pulling panels but doable with taping of gaskets.Total time about two hours.

first time posting ,,,,,,long time reader,,,,,,,,,,,great site very helpful ,,,,,,thanks to all for the help over the years,,,,,,,,,,,,Ed.

pretty easy car,,,

on the rear door panels pop off the plastic cover on the handle with a plastic tool ( I use a orange plastic body trim and decal remover tool from harbor freight) remove torx screw

then grab the panel and peel back till it pops once on each side,,,

push bottom rubber gasket up with panel popper tool and pull up and out,,,

cut pattern big on sides and bottom drop in front side first then slide the back in,,

very important to hit the sides with plastic tool asap to keep from getting felt particles in film and blue max everything,,,,

takes a little practice but end result is very clean work with no gaps ( wanna go pro shave top edge or file edge )

,,,very easy doors no shrink 5 minutes tops ,,,,,,,oh on the prep with window up jet wash felts and with lint free towel and slammer jam it in there and wipe the channel strong from top to bottom this will cut back on tape and time blade and squeegee as normal for install,,,,,,

little window use little squeegee no panels removed

easy back glass no powder or soap or dryer sheet or anything just make sure it's clean and dry ,,,one wet spot in the middle,,,then cut pattern tight first then dry shrink and install appx 10-12 mins just crusing

have fun,,,,,,

Did one today and 1st half trucking right along second half no so much. Did the back glass and quarters since all panels were out made them 3 a breeze and done in a little over an hour. The 4 roll downs took waaaay too long even pulling the panels it still sucked. Probably didnt help the shop was blazing, no fricken AC and outside we hit a hundy again. Not too mention huge matrix and crazy rear view mirror on the windshield. Time to kick back with a drink.

Archived