3m film

Guest wrong_em_boyo

I know its unpopular on this forum, but we've tried out different films from all the big manufacturers over the last 20 years and now 3M is the only film I'll use. I've had CS series on my truck that stays outside in the So Cal sun everyday for the last 3 years and it still looks brand new. I have Crystalline on my 1970 Nova and the leather seats never even seem warm anymore.

you do know 3m is not a manufacture of window film? I think Suntek is making it currently.

Some lines like the FX series, black chrome and affinity, I believe are made by Commonwealth Laminating and Coating which also makes Suntek. CS and Crystalline are not made there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its unpopular on this forum, but we've tried out different films from all the big manufacturers over the last 20 years and now 3M is the only film I'll use. I've had CS series on my truck that stays outside in the So Cal sun everyday for the last 3 years and it still looks brand new. I have Crystalline on my 1970 Nova and the leather seats never even seem warm anymore.

you do know 3m is not a manufacture of window film? I think Suntek is making it currently.

Is this bs or do they make their own film? 3m website on the f&a page saying

"Does 3M make window films?

Definitely! No one has more experience with window film than 3M. 3M was issued the very first patent on 3M Window Film in 1966 and today we are the only manufacturer that can produce our own polyesters, adhesives, metals and scratch-resistant coatings. This gives us the quality control and product consistency other manufacturers just can't match.

Definitely! No one has more experience with window film than 3M. 3M was issued the very first patent on 3M Window Film in 1966 and today we are the only manufacturer that can produce our own polyesters, adhesives, metals and scratch-resistant coatings. This gives us the quality control and product consistency other manufacturers just can't match.

It's what's known as "parsing" A kernel of truth centered around a whole lot of baloney.

For example:

"No one has more experience with window film than 3M" Impossible to quantify and presumably since they mention the patent for metalizing in the very next sentence. Window film was around in the 1950's and Martin Processing (later CP Films-Solutia ) were selling dyed window films before and has certainly earned more volume sales since 1966 by far.

"today we are the only manufacturer that can produce our own polyesters, adhesives, metals and scratch-resistant coatings"

This is more interesting verbiage since they may be the only manufacturer that "can" produce; yet they never specifically state that they do. So theoretically they could have made 100% of their films but they don't for window film.

Competitive people will point out that Garware and Hanita make poly and manufacture cradle to grave. Solutia can boast that they manufacture all processes under one roof (while buying adhesives and poly ) and Saint Gobain (Solar Gard ) can also add their unique capabilities.

If you are wondering why competitive manufacturers don't make a big deal about this FACT, it's because they all to some degree want to maintain a good relationship with 3M so they can continue to sell them their films or hope to replace the current suppliers. Outing 3M wouldn't be a prudent move; and in many cases there are non disclosure agreements (for obvious reasons.)

Clearly the implication by 3M is that they make everything they are selling under their logo which is disingenuous at best.

This is the perception battle.

3M positions that they "make" their film because consumers are inclined to believe that a company with that reputation wouldn't outsource. 3M absorbs the warranty;of course and makes certain that their OEM's produce the films they rebox as well as the OEM can agree to.

This is a selling angle and their strength. Leverage the halo effect of 3M quality to create sales.

The 3M dealer can drink the Kool-aid and convince themselves and their clients that this is relevant, or the 3M dealer can accept that the film is SunTek in a box (for example) and knowlingly sell the client that somehow the product magically got better when it was carefully placed inside a 3M box.

The more consumers research the more they will be disinclined to follow along like sheep.

I make no value judgement on any of this since it's simply reality.

Branding is a powerful selling weapon. If you are a 3M dealer suspend your disbelief and hype the brand.

If you are selling against 3M. .well you already know how to win since 3M has a relatively small US market share for flat glass and even less for automotive.

What % does 3M actually make versus re-box?

It's less than 50% and probably closer to only 20% of the films sold under the 3M name.

:hmmm .....Mike, why did you pick V4V as your screen name.............?

Well. When I was at 3M I used I4NI123 on Tintdude but as soon as I left (five years ago exactly) I decided to change my screen name. Knowing I'd signed up to be a Vista Dealer (V 4 Vista) and I liked that V for Vendetta guy from the movies who used a heck of a lot of V words.

It's what's known as "parsing" A kernel of truth centered around a whole lot of baloney.

For example:

"No one has more experience with window film than 3M" Impossible to quantify and presumably since they mention the patent for metalizing in the very next sentence. Window film was around in the 1950's and Martin Processing (later CP Films-Solutia ) were selling dyed window films before and has certainly earned more volume sales since 1966 by far.

"today we are the only manufacturer that can produce our own polyesters, adhesives, metals and scratch-resistant coatings"

This is more interesting verbiage since they may be the only manufacturer that "can" produce; yet they never specifically state that they do. So theoretically they could have made 100% of their films but they don't for window film.

Competitive people will point out that Garware and Hanita make poly and manufacture cradle to grave. Solutia can boast that they manufacture all processes under one roof (while buying adhesives and poly ) and Saint Gobain (Solar Gard ) can also add their unique capabilities.

If you are wondering why competitive manufacturers don't make a big deal about this FACT, it's because they all to some degree want to maintain a good relationship with 3M so they can continue to sell them their films or hope to replace the current suppliers. Outing 3M wouldn't be a prudent move; and in many cases there are non disclosure agreements (for obvious reasons.)

Clearly the implication by 3M is that they make everything they are selling under their logo which is disingenuous at best.

This is the perception battle.

3M positions that they "make" their film because consumers are inclined to believe that a company with that reputation wouldn't outsource. 3M absorbs the warranty;of course and makes certain that their OEM's produce the films they rebox as well as the OEM can agree to.

This is a selling angle and their strength. Leverage the halo effect of 3M quality to create sales.

The 3M dealer can drink the Kool-aid and convince themselves and their clients that this is relevant, or the 3M dealer can accept that the film is SunTek in a box (for example) and knowlingly sell the client that somehow the product magically got better when it was carefully placed inside a 3M box.

The more consumers research the more they will be disinclined to follow along like sheep.

I make no value judgement on any of this since it's simply reality.

Branding is a powerful selling weapon. If you are a 3M dealer suspend your disbelief and hype the brand.

If you are selling against 3M. .well you already know how to win since 3M has a relatively small US market share for flat glass and even less for automotive.

What % does 3M actually make versus re-box?

It's less than 50% and probably closer to only 20% of the films sold under the 3M name.

Never got to chat with you at Cabo. Still trying to grasp the cost of "gold on roll" 70

the place where I might get my clear bra installed ( xpel or venture, not sure which one yet)

also sells 3M tint, I was thinking about the fx premium,

is it any good, or should I go for a ceramic film, the car is a new merc e63

im a 3M installer, id suggest the CM over the FXP

Archived