3m Crystalline false specs!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintjackal

Still don't get it, you guys were so quick to point out who doesn't make it. Why on earth would you guys not jump at the chance to state who/where it is made. :dunno

I don't let things go......just ask my wife.

In discussions with a rep that was previously employed by a bonafide 3M distributor (within the last year) I actually asked him because of discussions that I had seen on here. His response was auto was Suntek flat was still being made by Solar Gard and some by Llumar. I have no direct knowledge nor have I been to any factory.

It would be my belief if 3M is making ALL of there own film there would be one member here that could provide proof of taking the factory tour and seeing it for themsleves. :twocents

We are simply biased to the truth.

When 3M makes a film they can brag (or not) about their technology adhesives, polyester, etc.

When they don't it's like adopting a kid from China and boasting that the tyke has your eyes.

3M dealers can boast about "their" ceramic films, "their" Anti G "their thicker security films, "their" exterior films, "their" affinity films, "their" FX films and more.

Unfortunately that kid still won't look like you!

:nope

...and Apple iPads have Samsung parts but you don't see Apple say "made by Samsung".

That is the business world we live. Whether 3M manufactures all their products or not they can still market them as 3M products however they wish. I would venture to say every other film company does this to some extent as well. So what is the arguement? Sounds to me like, "big evil corporation" is the beef. Well the occupy wallstreet movement is ------->

We are simply biased to the truth.

When 3M makes a film they can brag (or not) about their technology adhesives, polyester, etc.

When they don't it's like adopting a kid from China and boasting that the tyke has your eyes.

3M dealers can boast about "their" ceramic films, "their" Anti G "their thicker security films, "their" exterior films, "their" affinity films, "their" FX films and more.

Unfortunately that kid still won't look like you!

:nope

You seem to avoided my question V4V yet again......who makes it? Why have you continuously avoided this? Are you bond contractually to not say or something?

Very funny how you operate on this forum is awfully similar to how this big evil corporation called 3M operates in the business world. See how you distract to other points and avoid certain questions and not very transparent in your responses.......do you neglect to see the similarities?

"I see your point Joe, but most of the significant quality issues are far behind 3M and most of the posts do not referenece what you stated above. I do agree that if 3M was using their name and putting substandard product on the marketplace that it would be bad for the entire industry. However, I do not believe that to be the case as I have not heard of any significant 3M warranty issues in the marketplace since the days of Panther. Am I missing something?"

Yes you are missing "something."

3M markets window film without distinguishing the small % of films they make versus they films they re-box. They imply "innovation" where none exists. They imply experience where no experience exists. They boast of technical superiority where none exists.

For example on the 3M website:

Does 3M make window film?:

"Definitely! No one has more experience with window film than 3M. 3M was issued the very first patent on 3M Window Film in 1966 and today we are the only manufacturer that can produce our own polyesters, adhesives, metals and scratch-resistant coatings. This gives us the quality control and product consistency other manufacturers just can't match."

Followed by,

"That, along with 3M's worldwide reputation as the adhesive experts, means you can rest assured knowing 3M Window Film is safe for your windows, and safe for you."

3M is leveraging these attributes yet literally nothing inside that box was made by 3M. Not the poly, not the adhesive or coatings. NADA-ZILCH.

If you can't see where the "something" might be ; I doubt I can be of any assistance.

Perhaps some day in the future, 3M will again take control of their window film destiny, end their reliance on outside companies and resist making hollow boasts.

Until then we will read about light diverging, photo-voltaic films and Brewster's Laws (dare I say? .being violated!) :evileye

Great post V ... imo

I am a man that believes in truth and a handshake being a deal.... I really don't care who makes the film for them. Some is good and some not but all is overpriced because of the name on the box.

Where and by who is it produced?

No one knows to be exact on the flat glass side but word on the street is Solar Gard makes it...... Suntek makes the Auto for sure though.

When touring the SG plant in California I saw with my own eyes a very large room with master rolls of film covering the walls all with 3m written all over them. It was a mistake I saw it and the door to that part of the plant was sealed as we were ushered on our way. That's all I know.

Stan how long ago was that tour you were on at the SG plant ......... ?

BTW 3M is one of the top 5 Manufacturers of PET , perhaps back then they were selling SG PET for whatever reason and that is why you had seen 3M on the rolls and that is why they ushered you on your way, Do know you for sure they make window film for 3M..........?

:spit

nothing personal Mike, I value you opinion and the interaction we have here on the board :beer You are one of the best :twocents

Guest tintjackal

:dunno maybe too harsh....my condolences.........v4v. As I said I have no dog in this fight, therefore I'll remove myself from it. hat_2.gif

Keep the fungus alive in this one :lol2 I think theres alot of members looking for answers on this thread. Perhaps V4V can give us some insight on the factory?

How about it MikeMN or PJF have you taken a tour of the 3M factory where they make all there window film?

Archived