METAL TOOLS!

I had a aluminum straight edge I used for a while. Problem was when I dropped it , the edges bent over. And I was always afraid to use it in a house with wood floors. I can not count how many times I have dropped a 5 way from 10+ feet up

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a aluminum straight edge I used for a while. Problem was when I dropped it , the edges bent over. And I was always afraid to use it in a house with wood floors. I can not count how many times I have dropped a 5 way from 10+ feet up

Tom, you should get some tool clips, similar to mitten clips that you would put on a small childs jacket,,,,, :blink ,,,,,,, :lol .......... :poke

I don't drop tools. that's an easy fix. work too fast, and you'll get burned.

Perhaps the reason I'm all for this, specifically out of aluminum, is I work with the stuff a lot. It's easy to sand down the edge and re-polish it in the event of failure due to droppage, heavy use, etc. One set of quality tools should last a lifetime. Some plastic cards will always be necessary, but pretty much all hard cards could be replaced with metal and last a lifetime.

Tom, you should get some tool clips, similar to mitten clips that you would put on a small childs jacket,,,,, :blink ,,,,,,, :lol .......... :poke

:lol

I think I'm like one of four people on the manny side who actually read posts. Sorry Bob :(

Yea Tim, I think it is somewhat naive of you to think so few on the manny side prowl around here. Take the blinders off my boy!

Why doesn't some company make METAL tools! Specifically hard cards, rear window tools, etc. It would NOT be that difficult to make something like a Conqueror out of aluminum, with or without a replaceable rubber edge. I'm perfectly content to wrap a towel around it.

I'm sick of every single tool I have not being tough enough to hold some pressure! I have to wedge my other hand down in there to push up on the tool!

OK, now that you've heard my rant, Manu's - TAKE NOTE!

thanks

Many tinters are innovative when it comes to tools; some great ones have come from a shop or two and VQ is right; mannies will build depedent upon cost of material and demand for.

Innovative = get a wide or not-so-wide stainless steel putty knife, cover the edge with felt to protect against metal-to-film contact or towel-wrap-failure and you have a tool that can deliver.

I for one don't want a metal tool for tinting. I don't even want to go back to the metal unger handles. Plastic cards are cheap and can be pitched when they are worn out without feeling like you are throwing away money.

The right tools will get the pressure deep down the back glass of a car. I use TWO Titan's together for the bottom of back windows when I need to or one if I don't need the pressure or lack the space to get two behind a brakelight.....

Why doesn't some company make METAL tools! Specifically hard cards, rear window tools, etc. It would NOT be that difficult to make something like a Conqueror out of aluminum, with or without a replaceable rubber edge. I'm perfectly content to wrap a towel around it.

If you look at cake decorating and baking tools, you'll find a metal version similar to a lot of the tools we use.

Archived