Sick hearing "I can get it done for cheaper $99,$89 or c

Serious talk right now. Why some of you shops out there want to install cheap film that doesn't last long or can't install the film worth crap? Why bring the industry down? Why you want to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours for $99 what kind of profit is that? Not that I hear it every day but when I do I'm sick hearing it. You guys out that has tinting for a long time how do you feel about that? I tell the customer to go ahead.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes that price is from tinters that have just started their own business. Sometimes that price is from a shop that's quantity over quality(price). No matter what you're going to run into this problem. It's been addressed a zillion times on this forum. Set yourself apart from the cheap guy by having a higher price and better sales ability, or set your price lower than his. I prefer option #1.

I for one with being on my own 6 months, have to start competing with the older better established shops, for one I could not afford and did not have the capital to invest on the greatest film out there, so I am starting on the low end and working up from there. Heck, my very first on my own job was with film from Ebay lol... granted after I got a hold of a roll from ASWF I called my friend back and re-did his car with the better quality film, he was stoked and that action, led to 7 referals.

I take my time, do a good job and have being getting referrals - so either is the $100 job for small cars or the $120 for midsize and $150 and above for luxury or the good work I do, I still have to compete with those shops who can order thousands of dollars of films by the pallet load.

I understand your frustration, but some of us 'small timers' have to feed our families too - some do it the honest way like myself, others, they just rent a booth at a flea market and do a peel-and-stick job which I've seen one too many times.

Just do a good job, manage your business and listen to your customer's request for jobs - the rest, is granted by your good skills.

I get this too and what I do is explain "why" I'm more expensive.

Here are few things I tell these customer who say,"Why are you more expensive." or "I found someone cheaper."

1. When the price is cheap so is the film, which can bubble and/or purple in as little as 6 months.

2. All tinters know what their work is worth, so if the price is low, it reflects how little confidence they have in their installation.

3. Installation is most important... I guarantee a quality installation and if you should have any issues or need to make a warranty claim, I can be found to assist you, unlike some "fly by night" window tint shop.

4. As for $99 tint jobs, anyone who would charges that is either on drugs or stupid for under cutting themselves so much. Do you really want someone like that in your garage around all your valuables?

I also want to explain that I am actually cheaper than the $99 hack. Lets say his cheap film will last 3 years, you'll have to tint the vehicle 3x or more to last a long as my film only applied once in that time period.

Everyone knows you get what you pay for.

If you have a 99$ guy in the area, don't just be 20 or 30 bucks more than him, that's really not enough to "tell" people you are any different.

NOW SAY, you are 200 or 300 more than him. Think about it.

Think what that says to the potential customer. Now the customer will be embarrassed to even mention the hack shop's price because he knows there must be quite a difference.

Also remember that not everyone that calls you for a price is looking for a low price!

TD, I agree with pricing much higher. I found that being priced in the middle is not good, your're still to much than the $99 guy and your low price will scare away customer willing to pay, so you miss out on both.

I tried knocking off $25 off my price and all I did was just under cut my profit by $25. I would have to take off $75 to compete for these jobs and I will not.

Every once in awhile I get calls where I can somehow sense they are shopping off price by the way they talk. I'll go down $25 dollars and they still think Im crazy and get all pissed off sometimes.

TD, I agree with pricing much higher. I found that being priced in the middle is not good, your're still to much than the $99 guy and your low price will scare away customer willing to pay, so you miss out on both.

I tried knocking off $25 off my price and all I did was just under cut my profit by $25. I would have to take off $75 to compete for these jobs and I will not.

Every once in awhile I get calls where I can somehow sense they are shopping off price by the way they talk. I'll go down $25 dollars and they still think Im crazy and get all pissed off sometimes.

I understand we are forced to compete and come down on prices. I read everyone's feedback. I understand that you may not be to afford quality film or maybe your just trying to pull in work. There's no need to cheat yourself that low regardless you still have a skill that not everyone can do. There's still cheap film out there that's a little more but good quality like(QDP) global window films. I tinted my car with it 9 years ago never bubbled faded or peeled you easily get 165 a car global is actually a good film. As a professional installer no matter what level you are you shouldn't sell customers film that doesn't last because shouldn't what to see a car back that you have to in double time for cheap

When I get customers asking if I can match a really low price and tell them I could if I was offering a film that would only last a couple years, which I don't. It gets the customer thinking.

OTB, I agree with not offering low quality film. Even if you explained to a customer that it will not last long, when it does fail, theres a slim chance that they'll return to the same shop.

Guest Tinter24

Just had a woman call today, 2013 Mercedes Benz C Class. Wants her full car tinted. she tells me she had a price of $100 cheaper. I told her I dont have a cheap film I can use and my quality is far to good to do it for that little.

Archived