Plenty of idiots out there

I shouldn't be surprised anymore but OMG how mug tinters don't lift the bar when it comes to pricing jobs.

Eg. I had to put in a quote for some white frost...a total of 16 panes including horrible little panels in 5 doors.....a good solid half day installing and a couple of hours pre cutting.

My price about $1,600 which was very fair, their price $1,025 :blink

They got it and good luck to them but whilst that was happening I did 3 panes for $850and finished it in 90 minutes.

A fraction of the film cost and nearly doubling their profit.

This game needs a huge wake up call.:facepalm2

Devil

You have to move and adapt with the times Dev.

Competition isn't like it was 20+ years ago.

Don't get upset about it.

I bet they still made a decent amount for half a days work.

Be worried when the cheap mugs aren't mugs!

No doubt they came out ok.... But it could have been better for them and area tinters in general.

It should be required to take a couple biz courses before opening a shop...

I agree Roach and may I say that there is no business accumen with this industry.

Even the dumbest mug can get into it with a bucket full of tools and a mobile phone and no prior business education.

And at the end of the day, there ain't going to be any real wealth shown for it....this career generally just pays weekly wages.

Devil

It's just like anything, the more you put into it...where you want to go with it...etc.

Agreed... but what I don't understand, is why they don't want more out of the work they are putting into it. I'm not saying everyone should strive to be millionaires with 15 cars and houses all over the world.... but why short change yourself when it's really not necessary??

I'm a fairly young tinter so I wonder if my take has anything to do with it. From what I've heard, everything's getting more expensive, except tinting, it's got a lot cheaper. My trainer almost swallowed his tongue when I've told him about what most people require for a good tinter these days. Most people expect nothing less than 8 cars a day, and to be able to adapt to their style pronto. To someone with 10 years exp. this may be okay, but for a 2nd year, you have to push. I can see $$$ in this industry which is why I first decided to make a career out of it instead of just a job, before I started to love my job that is, but none the less, it seems that cutting your cost a bit and being able to tint with your feet is the new thing. Sure any dropkik can pick a squeegee up, but I believe there is a fine skill in it. When people with this skill can tint backwards and make the money, is the future of tinting quantity over quality? Not what I first imagined but everyone seems to be cut throating, which I don't understand because we could all charge a fair price for it, even with m1 etc. around. Oh well, back to snorting a pound of speed before work everyday I guess

Good call 35. (Except for the coke thing..)

I may sound like a broken record, but there is simply no need to undercut each other. Set some fair prices for your skill, and stick to it. If you have a tinter local who charges next to nothing, then try and communicate with them and explain that there is no need to go in cheap on every job. Working together wil be the key to a strong industry again. MotorOne can't buy everyone out. Some people are simply just not for sale. Alone we are nothing.. Together we are invincible.

Archived