Discount for YELP Reviews, WOW

I just had a bad experience with yelp. I moved into a new market and proudly had 7 - 5 star reviews. This was great news in establishing my initial reputation here. So I signed up to advertise with them.... next thing I know, the algorithm caught up and wiped all of my reviews away. They were all 100% unique IP addresses and honest reviews from satisfied customers.

There is a $700 termination fee. I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to cancel the contract and waive the fee. Basically, I was paying them to promote my NO STAR business. YELP is ok at best. I would promote a customer to review through google only.

When you say wiped as no more or were they moved to the not recommended section? If users are new on Yelp and have little to no reviews they will go to not recommended once the algorithm runs against the account. Most of our customers read the not recommended as well.

It took us 18 months but we have racked up 53 reviews in total and everyone of them is 5 star. Not an easy task and I battle to keep it that way. We pull in over half our business from Yelp alone and track that statistic when the customer fills out their check in form. I spend $780 a month for Yelps advertising plan. IS it worth it? Yes, its a nessasary evil but it makes way more than it costs me. I guess everyone's market is different but here in Cali we have too many tech savvy people so Yelp is a must.

I advertise with yelp. I don't recommend it. But I strongly suggest you take yelp very seriously.
I have the same advertisng campaign at 2 different shops. 1 shop has over 100 reviews, the other under 20. Paying doesn't really help imo, but I'm not stopping the ads

Edited by VIP tint + glass

We did yelp in the past at $300 a month and we got a lot of views, but didn't seem to go beyond that.  We now only spend $150 through Yelp and getting 48 ad clicks for September, but not sure if that is meaning anything.  We mainly use Google Adwords which is great, we spend $2000 monthly.

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

The only benefit to yelp is if you get reviews that actually stick, your ranking with bing or Yahoo will go up and you will most likely also see it show up in Google search organic. 

But i must admit, there is too much risk and as soon as you have activity on yelp they will start hounding you and essentially extort you to advertise. 

Yelp is the internet MAFIA! Seriously. 

Edited by bbvaldezjuly4th

This is good for you. But very bad for the shop doing it. Yelp will hold those reviews hostage. And they will delete them if they find out because it is against their review policy. Never pay for reviews. Not even for discounts. Offer great service. Ask every customer to leave you a review. Some will.