Peanuts

I now have an explainable theory on rear window peanuts and why they occur.

eg. I did a new VW multivan 2014 model campervan this avo and my template had a note on it to watch for peanuts on the rear screen occurring.

So with a new softer heat setting in tow, a different distance to apply the gun to the film and a far wider spread of heat I got the dreaded 2 peanuts on different parts of the screen.

I can only put this occurrence down to the type of rear screen and this VW had a very thick heater demister wire and a dot matrix border of 12 mm.

The same technique I use on other vehicles doesn't happen so my thinking it has to be the screen.

Fortunately I've got the vehicle overnight to push out any offenders in the morning.

devil

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I now have an explainable theory on rear window peanuts and why they occur.

eg. I did a new VW multivan 2014 model campervan this avo and my template had a note on it to watch for peanuts on the rear screen occurring.

So with a new softer heat setting in tow, a different distance to apply the gun to the film and a far wider spread of heat I got the dreaded 2 peanuts on different parts of the screen.

I can only put this occurrence down to the type of rear screen and this VW had a very thick heater demister wire and a dot matrix border of 12 mm.

The same technique I use on other vehicles doesn't happen so my thinking it has to be the screen.

Fortunately I've got the vehicle overnight to push out any offenders in the morning.

devil

gee dev I do heaps of these and vw in general and never has an issue . And sometimes I don't even use steel wool in the screen

I have done plenty of the newer Dodge Challengers and have great success. Last Thursday I did one that almost made me want to throw in the towel for good! I did everything the way I normally do, but something was phucked up with this one! I spent more time on the BG trying to level out the peanuts or what I call puckers than I did on the rest of the car. 

Some cars just leave peanuts behind and some don't. I just tinted an older Lexus ES 300. I traded him out the tint job for a really nice snap-on battery jump box. I thought for sure I would have peanuts all over the BG's defroster lines...but not a single one. I didn't treat the back window any differently, and dry shrank as normal. Sometimes if they're really bad I will go inside the glass, put a really small score line(not noticeable!!) under the defrost line and heat it up w my heat gun(on the outside of the glass). Let it sit for about 15 seconds then push the top of the peanut down toward the score line-the bottom of the peanut up toward the score line. Peanut gone. But it can be a real PITA when they're everywhere!!

Also known as a pucker that is caused from the shrinking of film for the back glass. This generally happens on back glasses that have thicker defroster lines. After installing the film, sometimes the film will kinda pull away in certain areas right on the defroster line where the film was shrunk at making it a real pain in the neck to try getting to lay down flat. I am sure someone can explain it better. 

Also known as a pucker that is caused from the shrinking of film for the back glass. This generally happens on back glasses that have thicker defroster lines. After installing the film, sometimes the film will kinda pull away in certain areas right on the defroster line where the film was shrunk at making it a real pain in the neck to try getting to lay down flat. I am sure someone can explain it better.

I'm pretty sure you just nailed it exactly. I don't think I could have explained it any better!

Spot on mate.

I have been tempted to slit the pffucker just under and just below the lift but I don't like doing that just in case a few years down the track the slit might open or finger.

I've seen this occur on many a slit one piece rear screens from the sides.

Devil

Archived