anyone heard of windscreen crack from tint?

Guest south aussie

Guest south aussie

Has anyone experienced a windscreen crack or shatter with a window tint strip across the top.

A tint shop told me that because the windshield is pre tinted (blueish across.top).if they add a strip of film the windscreen will explore or shatter?.due to heat escaping, but another shop has never heard of this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never seen this happen nor have I ever heard of this happening. I've replaced many windshields and never once was it because of a crack from a visor.

My guess is you have a difficult mirror bracket and they don't want to remove mirror. Or maybe their installer called in sick or they are just plain lazy.

Your tinter is thinking of a thermal stress issue which we do face on a daily basis with laminated glass such as found in windshields, but there is no problem at all with applying a visor strip.

He's just a bit misinformed.

Now if he took a heat gun to the windshield that would be a different story. Ask me how I know :D

I'm guessing he just didn't want to install the strip. I hate doing them and I am sure most other tinters will say the same. 

If there is a stronger word than "hate" for doing sun strips then that would be my best way to describe them. i jack the prices way up on those things so nobody will make me do them anymore. :lol

I'm guessing he just didn't want to install the strip. I hate doing them and I am sure most other tinters will say the same.

If there is a stronger word than "hate" for doing sun strips then that would be my best way to describe them. i jack the prices way up on those things so nobody will make me do them anymore. :lol

I don't know what it is either. It isn't like it takes that long. Maybe because i do that last most of the time.

Archived