anyone heard of windscreen crack from tint?

Guest south aussie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put windshield strips on 90% of the vehicles I tint. I dont find them to be that big of a deal except on some Fords. whoever is responsible for designing the rearview mirrors on Fords can burn in hell!!!

Right next to the guy that designed the Taurus.

Yes it can break it . I seen it happen on wife's car. Broke at the top 2 days later .so be careful.luckily she didn't put 2 and2 together and we have glass breakage on our insurance.the next shield didn't have factory tint and I put tint stip on top and no crack.

I'm confused. You're saying a visor strip cracked your wife's windshield yet when you got it replaced you put another strip on it?

We have put plenty of 20% visor strips over factory visors and this has never occurred.

My guess is your wife's windshield had a very tiny chip in it that you didn't see and that's why it split.

Yes it can break it . I seen it happen on wife's car. Broke at the top 2 days later .so be careful.luckily she didn't put 2 and2 together and we have glass breakage on our insurance.the next shield didn't have factory tint and I put tint stip on top and no crack.

I'm confused. You're saying a visor strip cracked your wife's windshield yet when you got it replaced you put another strip on it?

We have put plenty of 20% visor strips over factory visors and this has never occurred.

My guess is your wife's windshield had a very tiny chip in it that you didn't see and that's why it split.

Yep.

Thnks could of had a chip on the edge that I didn't see. Like flat glass and stress break age.just cause I put one on a,gain your confused.why I got glass breakage so if it breaks I get another one I pay for it.just saying it can break! I tell all my customers that I'm not buying a new window if it cracks that it can happen.most still get it done. I seen it happen mr.lock.so take that to the bank.

Thnks could of had a chip on the edge that I didn't see. Like flat glass and stress break age.just cause I put one on a,gain your confused.why I got glass breakage so if it breaks I get another one I pay for it.just saying it can break! I tell all my customers that I'm not buying a new window if it cracks that it can happen.most still get it done. I seen it happen mr.lock.so take that to the bank.

Please don't call me "mr. lock". Makes me feel old :lol

Flat glass and windshields are different so yes I'm confused as to why you would put a strip on if you really thought the original glass cracked due to a visor strip. :dunno

All windshields over time get little pits in them. Perfectly harmless, just normal wear and tear. Problem is some of these pits are in fact minor chips that almost look the same to the untrained eye but a chip will eventually split. So in my opinion you would be better off telling your customers that if it breaks it's from that and not a visor strip.

We did a 5 inch strip across the top of my dads scion xB. We did it in 5% mirror architecture tint(bad idea). It did crack along the strip. Happened because we decided to wash the car on a very hot day. As soon as the water touched the glass it cracked(our fault) I figure its was because of the reflective nature of the mirror film?

We did a 5 inch strip across the top of my dads scion xB. We did it in 5% mirror architecture tint(bad idea). It did crack along the strip. Happened because we decided to wash the car on a very hot day. As soon as the water touched the glass it cracked(our fault) I figure its was because of the reflective nature of the mirror film?

Maybe...but that is a classic example of when Laminated glass will crack if it has a chip or fault in the edge or a star chip in it.

Typically a reflective film will have lower heat absorption that a non-reflective film actually making it safer for laminated glass. 

Archived