2015 BMW 4 series Gran Coupe 4 door

Ridler

Have one in the shop now.  The 3rd brake light is typical BMW.  Once you remove plastic trim, the light has tabs you just slide to the sides and the brake light comes right off.

Hi Underground...

Can you please show me how or explain to me in detail, how the 3rd brake light is taken off?  My tint installer at the dealership is saying that the brake light will not come off and there's no way. He has gone as far as taking the plastic trim off but swears that the brake light itself is attached to the glass and can't be taken off. I just can't believe that. 

My car hasn't been "delivered" yet and is in the prep stage, so I can't take a close look at it.   I even told him that I'll take it off myself since I'm a bit handy. 

You're probably saying "why can't the tech at the dealer help?"... The tint installer is a third party that comes to the dealer and the dealer wants nothing to do with them.  As a matter of fact, some techs passing-by even told them that the brake light can't be taken off.  really?!!  :dunno

Please help!

Easy brake light removal, whole car is easy, there are 2 tabs that slide outward that grab aluminum tabs there like small tracks if that makes sense, they don't look exactly the same as a 5 series but work the same, use bone tool/push stick to release. Wire just pulls out no tool needed, just grab it by the connector, and tug.

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll feel like a tool once I get to see the center brake light myself and how simple it is. I'm on my way to the dealer to take it out myself. I still can't believe that the tinting tech couldn't remove the brake light. Thanks again for the replies.

Finally went to the dealer and did what you guys told me.  Take the top plastic trim that goes around the rear glass and slide the locks.  

The tint techs were like "Duh..." and felt really stupid. In their defense... it's hard to differentiate the black plastic slide lock from the adjacent black plastic.

Anyways, here's a picture of the slide lock.

Thanks guys! 

FullSizeRender%207.jpg

DA3A2EDD-9F91-4959-BFB1-2A0A1919E91F.jpg

Before and after pic of the screwup. 

8156F73A-DB46-4E24-84B2-BF31120797E8.jpg

How in the hell does a bmw mechanic not know how to do this? Can't be any harder than the jigsaw puzzle repairs they're used to. Lol

I think it was just an excuse to steer me away from requesting a do over on the cutout tint they put on originally.

Sorry ass excuse if that was the real reason. Or they ARE really that stupid... which I find it hard to believe.

Either way, not conducive to keeping customers like me that change cars yearly.

Archived