3M bubbling

Had a car come in for an R&R. As you can see this is an extreme case of adhesive failure. To my surprise the film still had its logo on it and it was 3M. I don't use this film but I am curious if this has been a problem for those that use it regularly?

post-37617-0-23884100-1440271262_thumb.j

post-37617-0-23819300-1440271280_thumb.j

post-37617-0-95508300-1440271294_thumb.j

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good ole CS series! Back at another shop I installed for 4.5 years ago, it wasn't un-common to have redos like that within a couple years from the original install. Nice thing about it is that because it is only singly ply film, it is very easy to remove after bagging it or using a steamer. 

How long since install and what series is it. CR, CS, or FX?

Appears as though the car owner loves to use the defroster.

Couldn't tell you when or what film as I'm not the one who installed it and the customer just bought the car. It's a 2004 so it's possible the film could be 11 years old. I'm in Utah so we only have a few months of extreme heat but great observation on the defrost lines as it does get pretty cold here during the winter months.

Good ole CS series! Back at another shop I installed for 4.5 years ago, it wasn't un-common to have redos like that within a couple years from the original install. Nice thing about it is that because it is only singly ply film, it is very easy to remove after bagging it or using a steamer.

Not sure if this is the same film then. I started off with the steamer but it starting to come apart in pieces. Currently bagging it and hoping it comes off easy.

amonia based window cleaner? talked to me rep recently about some film failures. hot day, spray window cleaner on it and it will

steam thru the film and attack the addhesive. think about bagging or steaming off a window. we really need to educate our customers on

proper window cleaners. the ones I haved had recently the dye was intack but the adhesive failed

Archived