It's been a good run.

So as I have had a little time to think about the recent downsizing that effected your position. One can't help but wonder what the long term outlook is for the film industry as a whole. For several years now, I have felt that the commercial solar side of the industry was on borrowed time. With the very high quality glass that is being produced today, installing film to help reduce energy costs, is quite often not going to present a attractive ROI. Although some films have remarkable capabilities, the material costs are simply cost prohibitive. And older buildings, as they are being renovated, will typically see new glass installed and not film. ( due to energy code requirements ) I just can't see how all these window film suppliers can survive fighting for table scraps.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So as I have had a little time to think about the recent downsizing that effected your position. One can't help but wonder what the long term outlook is for the film industry as a whole. For several years now, I have felt that the commercial solar side of the industry was on borrowed time. With the very high quality glass that is being produced today, installing film to help reduce energy costs, is quite often not going to present a attractive ROI. Although some films have remarkable capabilities, the material costs are simply cost prohibitive. And older buildings, as they are being renovated, will typically see new glass installed and not film. ( due to energy code requirements ) I just can't see how all these window film suppliers can survive fighting for table scraps.

'Mum', my keyword of the day.  :lol   

If non full metal DR films would not fade I would never worry as like a DR15 works awesome on my glass down here.

I've never had a client pick a V28 over a DR25 . Lulu DR is the best looking lineup. The new ceramic 35/45/55 is gorgeous however is overkill and doesn't perform as well on my glass down here

Tom if and when it does happen I would concentrate more on commercial storefronts and deco. I still tint some of the best glass money can buy on residential.

A number of years ago, I focused our efforts on deco. Today, we are well north of 80% deco. There will always be a resi market to chase. My thoughts were more geared to the commercial customer, where purchase decisions are largely based on ROI. ..When today's glass is so efficient, and the more advanced technology film costs ...well....significant. It's not uncommon to see a EA come in over 15-18 years, or more. These projects will not come to fruition very often.

From one guy who made it out to the next, you'll be just fine. I haven't logged in since May and just saw your post. 

Your posts were my favorites, there was no BS'ing you and I understood the need to be careful more than anyone... That said, its nice to be able to be yourself and not fear retribution.

Go have fun, pick the table you'll sit at instead of hoping the cards are good ones... that's my feeling on leaving the corporate world. 

Guys and gals...

35 years in the industry and almost 20 years employment at one of the major mannies of our industry came to an end for me today.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you will still be around

Just came back from SEMA and everyone's just bragging about their PPF now.

Dave, you lost your job because of the restructuring after the acquisition of CLC? Like you, I was with a large Korean manny ten years ago. I became my own boss after realizing that all other mannies in Korea (including the big defunct CNC) were just trying to dig info out of me and no proper career path. I hope that by me sharing this experience, it can be helpful when you think about your next move.

That said, its nice to be able to be yourself and not fear retribution.

Go have fun, pick the table you'll sit at instead of hoping the cards are good ones... that's my feeling on leaving the corporate world. 

Exactly how I look at it. Thx.

Guys and gals...

35 years in the industry and almost 20 years employment at one of the major mannies of our industry came to an end for me today.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you will still be around

Just came back from SEMA and everyone's just bragging about their PPF now.

Dave, you lost your job because of the restructuring after the acquisition of CLC? Like you, I was with a large Korean manny ten years ago. I became my own boss after realizing that all other mannies in Korea (including the big defunct CNC) were just trying to dig info out of me and no proper career path. I hope that by me sharing this experience, it can be helpful when you think about your next move.

I have already spoke assurances that I was done with the industry if I were to be cut loose. At 60, I am mortgage free and will be debt free once the new car bought in Feb is paid. I have an excellent nest egg and am close enough to early social security to not worry. All is good, even my wife will be in the work force another fifteen years or more ... and will carry me on her insurance for the next five years (with hopes the gov doesnt annihilate Medicare by then). :unsure:

My plan is to work part-time earning under the limit for SS at 62 (one of the security guards where I worked was once an executive in the corporate world. He has given me some excellent advice in regards to SS and earning income. He also lost his corporate job at 60 with a background in accounting. Another person I know was in HR his entire career so plenty of knowledge wealth between those two alone. :lol ). Thank God I learned how to network and seek harmony among all those I met in person. All input has been helpful to keeping an uplifted, positive attitude and outlook as I move into a new era in life! :thumb

Thank you again to you two and all others here at TD for your supportive words.

Archived