Has anyone used this film.

We did a test pilot on a building out here. Done back in the spring, they are going to watch it over a year and see if there is any significant improvement.

Keep us posted.

I am surprised you have not been updated yet, Spring time is when most of the bird strikes happen.

They must be tweaking the UV since birds see in the UV range. The trick is to alternately reflect and absorb UV rays. Some professor at the Univ. of Penn holds a patent on the concept of this approach using a clear film. You couldn't tell it was there but, the birds sure did see it. 

Hello Smart,

I agree that the alternating UV pattern is the key.

Many years ago, we started receiving multiple orders for frost white matte film baloney cut down to quarter-inch strips.  I was very curious about this strange ordering pattern and I called several of the customers to ask about the application.  Apparently some avian expert had published this solution in a science journal and these customers were applying thin strips of Frost White Matte onto the windows to mitigate bird strikes.  The results were very positive from what I was told.

Birds do rely upon their vision in the UV spectrum and the alternating pattern on the glass alerts them that the window is not a naturally occurring phenomenon, so they avoid flying into it.  I am not exactly sure what the Solyx product is, but if the UV reflection/absorbtion is varied across the pattern - it sure sounds like a similar method.

-Howard

Bird safety,lol,,,I installed what looked like that stuff on interior bank windows that the manager bought the stuff online,,think that was the name solyx

Side note,,,I have seen many clear non tinted windows with many dead bugs in the window sill and lots of big crap on the glass(they think they are going to escape?),,,darker tinted glass almost has none of that

Archived