Pulling lower door panel seals, Removing door panels, and Tucking film

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most seals can be removed just by simply pulling back on the panel at the top working from one side to the other. Some you have to remove the screw behind the door handle (most jeeps, older Hondas) the new Malibu and Impala comes out pretty easy just prying back the top and pulling the seals. I see it done every day now, with the seals out you don't need to shrink but I do it anyways just for piece of mind. I still wipe down everything the film can come in contact with during installation and lay liner on top of panel for added security. I curl the film inwards to eliminate pinches. I'll post a pic tomorrow of one so you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

What about pulling the seals makes it where you don't have to shrink? I see this all the time but not sure how the concept works? I am interested in pulling seals especially on Toys and Hondas as they are so friggin tight but wonderin if it is worth it. but if you don't have to shrink and fight the seal it may be for sure.

Most of those you have to pull the panel. The Hondas for instance have these metal clips in the sweeps that bend back into the panel. Luckily three screws and they're usually off. And no I'm not getting into a pissing match about which is faster. When you take the seal out or pull panel you drop in one piece. Everybody gets caught up in oh it takes so long to pull the panel/seal, however they don't factor in time shrinking the windows and heating up and fixing creases. :twocents

I do both ways just depends on the car.

a little update.......

I have taken all advice. I have pulled pannels,tucked film and have used short versions on my plotter from film design.  I learned to invest in extra clips and take your time.

One thing I just read is if you pull a panel you dont have to shrink?

a little update.......

I have taken all advice. I have pulled pannels,tucked film and have used short versions on my plotter from film design. I learned to invest in extra clips and take your time.

Yes there will be less shrinking. I'm not going to say that you don't have to shrink because there are still some.

a little update.......

I have taken all advice. I have pulled pannels,tucked film and have used short versions on my plotter from film design.  I learned to invest in extra clips and take your time.

What happens is the curve of the window applies pressure to the film, and the seals hold moisture. When the seals are in then the moisture tries to creep under the film. If the seals are out then you are able to absorb the moisture along the bottom of the film so that the cohesive properties of the water is unable able to lift the film and allow the film to pucker under pressure.

Sit them puckers down! If it's a tough finger to lay try using a card wrapped in paper towel. Push down to the bottom and hold it there for a second or two to absorb the moisture you pushed out from underneath the film.

Some windows do have such a curve that you still need to shrink even with the seals out. VW Beetles being the worst I find.

Since I bought a plotter and have made durastic changes to my garage as in removed all dust making items saws,lawn equipment tools etc. I mop the floor before ever tint job squeege my glass boards before every time I lay film on them. my debris in the film is very little to none now. I still battle back windows with debris in corners. I tried to remove the rear deck and it takes a lot of time out of a job. I also have done reverse rolling tech and it helps alot but still get a lil from time to time.   Does anybody on here remove rear decks? or am I wasting my time?  the one thing I learned from not shrinking sides windows some times I get wicking and it drags dirt up into the tint from the bottom gasket . With popping panels I have had a good sucess rate but I still have yet to learn on how to pull the full release liner. to eliminate a small crease you need to work out later on in the job.

Archived