Pulling lower door panel seals, Removing door panels, and Tucking film

I agree 100%. I remove more sweeps or pop the tops more than ever. So many new cars are so easy why wouldn't you. Some cars you don't even have to remove the sweeps. I use plastic panel tools everyday. Pull seal back a little and wedge a panel tool in to hold panel back from window. Cleaner, Faster, less stressful! But as Dootint stated every car is different. This is where you have to learn your cars and how each one comes apart.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some vehicles just aren't worth the time trying to pull panels, seals. New Silverados, Sierras, Equinox, older Audis, BMW 7 series are among the worst.

I use the liner trick, but with an added twist. I leave roughly 2-3 inches of liner at the bottom of the film. I find if you leave the entire liner hanging, folded, it pinches the film instead of allowing it to bend and flex. What I do is peel it until there is roughly 1 inch left stuck along the bottom of the film, fold it over and cut the excess liner off leaving roughly 1-2 inches of liner which can flap back onto the film. What you are left with is a 2-3 inch strip of liner along the bottom of the film.

The liner protects the film when it touches the door panel. Squeegee the top, roll up the window, peel the strip of liner off the bottom, and carefully tuck the bottom into the seals. Voila! 

I hate, with a passion, fiddling with the film trying to slide it past two lip seals. I find gasket shields, or seal jams can make a tight spot even tighter, so I "cheat it in" as I call it. Maybe it's an old, already known, trick, not sure. I see lots of guys using the liner trick, but they leave the liner hanging. This cheat makes the liner trick 100x better, easier.

Archived