Legalities of installing illegal window tint

Does anyone know if it is unlawful to tint a vehicle darker than the states allowed VLT%?

Read this statement you made again and you'll find your answer :thumb2

Oh and :welcome

I think he was nervous posting, cause I spied that and the title wording. The poke I made went over like an F35. :console  But that's okay, I have deadpan comedy type humor.

Does anyone know if it is unlawful to tint a vehicle darker than the states allowed VLT%?

Read this statement you made again and you'll find your answer :thumb2

Oh and :welcome

I think he was nervous posting, cause I spied that and the title wording. The poke I made went over like an F35. :console  But that's okay, I have deadpan comedy type humor.

I love the line about Aus in your signature Smartie. :lol

Don't worry, if the world ends the Aussie Tint Duders will be straight on here to give our USA mates a 24 hour heads up. :scared

Some states will fine the installe/shop, which does scare me that much.

What does scare me is civil law and losing every thing I own.

I know a tinter that got sued for tinting too dark. He used to be on this forum. Also there is a case in NY, but I don't know if it's been settled yet.

I just bought a new car, I haven't been to the dealer yet as I replaced my car with the exact same thing only 2 years newer. It was dropped at the dealer  2 days ago and I asked about window tinting. Dealership uses an outside source for tinting so after price was quoted I agreed, pending deciding the darkness of the tint. I stated that there is a law about how dark you can go and asked that they be sure the percentage I chose was legal. The salesperson had the tinting done based on the tint % I decided on.  After a few hours I asked did she make sure it was legal. With no immediate answer I went online and found that what I had done was in fact illegal, and now she says I will have to pay to have it redone. Are installers obligated to inform the customer if a request is illegal.  I don't think they should be held liable if they notified the customer, but if they did not are they in the wrong for at least not telling the customer? This is an area a lot of customers might not think about, especially one as myself that is having windows tinted for the first time. What are your opinions. 

A little more info please.

What product and percentage was installed?

What type of vehicle was it installed on? Different vehicles will have different factory specs for glass which will determine final vlt.

Welcome to the site!    My only advice regarding any potential liability would be to speak with local law enforcement for their opinion, maybe a local magistrate for their opinion, your insurance carrier and most importantly your attorney.

Anytime you have a business decision (regarding anything) consider what your accountant and attorney would advise. Their input just might help save a headache or two.  

16 hours ago, Guest Robert said:

I just bought a new car, I haven't been to the dealer yet as I replaced my car with the exact same thing only 2 years newer. It was dropped at the dealer  2 days ago and I asked about window tinting. Dealership uses an outside source for tinting so after price was quoted I agreed, pending deciding the darkness of the tint. I stated that there is a law about how dark you can go and asked that they be sure the percentage I chose was legal. The salesperson had the tinting done based on the tint % I decided on.  After a few hours I asked did she make sure it was legal. With no immediate answer I went online and found that what I had done was in fact illegal, and now she says I will have to pay to have it redone. Are installers obligated to inform the customer if a request is illegal.  I don't think they should be held liable if they notified the customer, but if they did not are they in the wrong for at least not telling the customer? This is an area a lot of customers might not think about, especially one as myself that is having windows tinted for the first time. What are your opinions. 

I think that if YOU chose the tint darkness you are out of luck.  You could have stated you wanted the "darkest legal" and they could have provided that but if you choose a darkness then you should have researched better or talked to the tint shop before.

19 hours ago, Guest Robert said:

I stated that there is a law about how dark you can go and asked that they be sure the percentage I chose was legal.

Given the above (quoted) statement to be true, I believe the onus is on the tint shop that did the work. Unless, the dealership staff did not clearly communicate your desire for the tint to not violate state law, then I believe the onus is on the dealership.

All tinters are legally obligated to tint in accordance to state statute any vehicle presented to them. If they choose not to, all liability falls on their shoulder. If an illegally tinted vehicle is involved in an accident and the tint was a factor that lead to the accident, the tinter can be held accountable AND the car owner's insurance company can refuse to cover damages because said car did not meet state statute for operation on its (state) roads.