New 2016 GTI: Was my Clear bra applied correctly?

Guys,

Thank you so much for this! 

An update: they are going to give me a full refund and stated that they MUST remove all the clearbra + tints in order for them to give it to me. This will happen this thursday.

...they offered to have me watch them do it in front of them. which i am. ill look out for knives on the paint. They stated that they will use a steamer to remove all the panels.

Fun fact: i just checked my hood tonight... it looks like some clearbra is actually unpeeling from the wrap around edges. Maybe the removal process will be easy after all as the clearbra is already removing itself.

I will get my clearbra done at SpeedFreak Detailing in Chantilly VA & Tints done at TintFX in Fairfax VA.

Does anyone have any comments? 

Thanks!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all!

One very quick question... Im about to go check my car for cut marks.

IF there are CUT MARKS from the clear bra application process; who is liable? Is this liability insurance coverage? 

Is there a line item in tint service law that spells out this sort of liability.

Thanks!

Waxworkz, i was thinking that, but they said that they must issue a refund and take of my clearbra. So i will take it in and watch them remove it

UPDATE: MY PAINT HAS BEEN CUT

-i decided to peek around and see if they cut my paint in the applicant process. i peeled a bit of film away on the bumper and SEE LINK BELOW

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/121275182@N04/albums/72157663924256773

IMG_2182.jpg

Alright i am going in on Thursday and getting it removed.

The shop HAS TO COVER A NEW REPAINTED BUMPER CORRECT? Liability insurance covering this? Do you guys have any recommendations moving forward?

I would just take tons of detailed pics before you go and since they are allowing you to watch the removal I would be taking a video.  As soon as they pull it off and the cuts are shown I would be asking them about having those panels repainted.  Make sure it is on video and even if you have to take them to court you will have plenty of evidence.

Pacific Auto Films,

Correct, i put a bit to spray wax and rubbed with a microfiber cloth. Nothing went away. So i confirmed that it was not residue.

Will go in tomorrow to asses the damage with the owner. 

Thank you!

Um.... might depend on who you're dealing with, really.

It used to be OK to say "You get what you pay for." But nowadays, everyone and their cousin want to charge what professionals charge, no matter what experience they come to the table with.

Plus 1 on the detailed pics. The shop may not even allow clients into the work area due to insurance stipulations. Try to come to an agreement with the owner prior to the removal, of what to do in the event of paint damage. He may be cocky enough to say there won't be any before the removal. If he is strong in that opinion, he may be willing to agree to cover all damages.

Finding a good body shop will be as hard as heck too. I service dozens of them, but only ever take my car to one specific shop. I'd send a shout out on here for the opinion of a local installer - ppf installers see behind the scenes when servicing the body shops. It's not the finish that is the most important part... it's the proper sanding, priming and baking that matter for a good respray.

Archived