Fighting contamination

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others said mist the air. Before peeling i mist air, spray along top edge of film, mist liner and peel. You said you peel off the bg. Maybe the air is blowing dust along the roof on to it. For doing bgs i always mist the roof to prevent that.

All great recommendations thus far from before-mentioned posts.

-Tape off felt trim or wet and dry wipe rubber trim? Check.

-Wash all tools with soap and water .... purified water? Check.

-Wet the shop floor down .... Mist entire surroundings and film liner surface? Check.

-Close shop door .... Air conditioning to minimize external contamination source? Check.

-Razor blade the window and side channels/seals .... Rub glass surface with bare hands to 'feel' for missed contam's? Check.

-Squeegee the water to the side seals .... Start at top, work side-to side migrating downward with overlap strokes? Check.

-Wipe the side seals down with rubber corner tool .... Wipe glass top edge? Check.

-Flush the seals with sprayer

-Spray window with solution .... before spraying adhesive aka minimize adhesive exposure to open air? Check.

-Lay pattern top edge down and pull liner upward to top of board so as to eliminate gravity pulling water from glass to film .... Check.

-The SECOND I start pulling the liner off, I start spraying the film

-Minimize time between spraying adhesive and pattern placement to glass... do not walk with film in front of you as contam catch net .... Check.

-Lay film .... minimal slide around and bumping into edges (improve targeting)? Check.

I put a inline gas filter on my spray bottle pickup hose,,the faucet in my shop has no screen,,other shop had one and was okay

I have a water filter at home and used that to fill some gal jugs which also worked nice

The rest of the contamination you will have to figure out,,like hot windy days are brutal with dust,,garage doors need to be shut all the way

Mist the liner before peeling,,rinse hands,,I rinse or wash the top 1/2 of dusty dirty cars etc

When I did mobile jobs,,one shop some guy complained about a few nano specs and I showed the shop owner the sunlight coming thru some windows and said look at the dust in the air,,your lucky they come out good at all,,lol

1. Clean your peeler boards before you start working.

2. Squeegie outside of car windows before cutting your film patterns, if you don't do computer cut.

3. Maybe also roll down the car windows down partially to clean the part that is hidden in the channel. There is loads of dirt there too.

4. Cut your pattern and trim top, shave the edge, and hang your film on the peeler board upside down. You will then be able to peel the liner up while wetting the film with solution and      nothing is running down from the peeler board onto the glue surface when you get ready for that step.

5. Clean your car window, side channels and so on. I take a micro fiber towel and wipe clean the top edge of the glass until it is clean of debris. One thing to look for is if you have water misted too heavy on the upper portion of the door that can cause drops of water and dirt to drop onto your glass of film while you are bringing film to the glass and applying.

6. Squeegie top edge then use hard card with paper towel to dry edge all the way across the top.

7. Continue by rolling up window and finishing out the job as you do and hopefully you will have a cleaner install.

Archived