spray wd40 on olfa blades

i recently had a bad pack, scratched glass even with fresh snaps (snapped blade 5 times on 1 window) i bought some general purpose oil / machine oil few drops on the blades then put them back in the pack, haven't scratched any glass since

and its not the way i was holding my knife before any smart a$$'s chime in

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The oil helps keep the blade it's sharpest and helps reduce the microscopic rust. It acts as a buffer to oxygen which is what causes rust when raw stainless steel is exposed to it. The blade tip, cutting edge is not polished. It is honed and left sharp, thus exposing the edge to oxygen, which in turn creates rust. At least that's my take on what I have read on the subject.

A true SS olfa blade shouldn't rust. I walk by broken tips of them everyday that have been consolidating around the edge of the wall for months getting soaked by my slip solution and not a single spot of rust on them. 

The oil helps keep the blade it's sharpest and helps reduce the microscopic rust. It acts as a buffer to oxygen which is what causes rust when raw stainless steel is exposed to it. The blade tip, cutting edge is not polished. It is honed and left sharp, thus exposing the edge to oxygen, which in turn creates rust. At least that's my take on what I have read on the subject.

:yeah Key word in 'red'.

Archived