Windshield strip that follows the curve?

I took a simple adjustable divider (from geometry class to make circles), filed the point down so it wasn't sharp, and instead of a pencil, I used a small hose clamp to install a Sharpie marker. It works well since I can adjust the width, and mark the film while following the top gasket.

Sorry, I don't have a photo right now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a simple adjustable divider (from geometry class to make circles), filed the point down so it wasn't sharp, and instead of a pencil, I used a small hose clamp to install a Sharpie marker. It works well since I can adjust the width, and mark the film while following the top gasket.

[emoji19] [emoji20] [emoji26]

[emoji19] [emoji20] [emoji26]

Oh, I know there's a photo or two somewhere here on TD, probably in the Tips & Tricks or Tools forum. We're talking 10-15 years ago though.

I got my tint done and they messed up the visor tint. I said  I wanted the bottom of the visor strip to be parrellel with the roofline of the window. I didn't know the term "factory edge" at the time. I even made the guy put painters tape on my windshield to mock what tit should look like. I told him it didn't have to be perfect as long as it looked close.

When i got the car back, they gave me the typical rainbow-curve tint and i made them take it off. It was a $120 job for the strip (F1 Pinnacle) and they are supposedly one of the most reputable (and expensive) tinter in Orange County. I asked them if theyre able to redo it and they said that was the best they could do and now I have to find another tinter.  They primarily use plotters but they said they custom cut as well. They did a good job on the rest of the car but i couldn't believe a place like that can't do a simple factory edge tint or at least custom cut it within the ballpark. Is it really that difficult to do for an experienced/skilled tinter?

I saw this video which shows a guy using a very simple tool to get the perfect cut:

4 hours ago, mkygod said:

I got my tint done and they messed up the visor tint. I said  I wanted the bottom of the visor strip to be parrellel with the roofline of the window. I didn't know the term "factory edge" at the time. I even made the guy put painters tape on my windshield to mock what tit should look like. I told him it didn't have to be perfect as long as it looked close.

When i got the car back, they gave me the typical rainbow-curve tint and i made them take it off. It was a $120 job for the strip (F1 Pinnacle) and they are supposedly one of the most reputable (and expensive) tinter in Orange County. I asked them if theyre able to redo it and they said that was the best they could do and now I have to find another tinter.  They primarily use plotters but they said they custom cut as well. They did a good job on the rest of the car but i couldn't believe a place like that can't do a simple factory edge tint or at least custom cut it within the ballpark. Is it really that difficult to do for an experienced/skilled tinter?

I saw this video which shows a guy using a very simple tool to get the perfect cut:

I ordered that tool about 2 years ago from Ebay from this guy and he never shipped it, so got a refund.  No emails or nothing, so not sure if he is around anymore.  The video is from 2010.

If they are using a plotter, the software should cut the strip to curve perfectly with the windshield.  I am for people getting money, but $120 for a sunstrip is retarded.

I'm shocked at how this site probably has ten thousand threads on not being the low price leader and industry hacks and what not all in an effort to increase quality and price...      And here we are the only thing the pros can comment on is the price..   I'm a little disappointed honestly.

9 minutes ago, TTS said:

I'm shocked at how this site probably has ten thousand threads on not being the low price leader and industry hacks and what not all in an effort to increase quality and price...      And here we are the only thing the pros can comment on is the price..   I'm a little disappointed honestly.

All comments and hell that needed to be said has been said. Just trying to find out how much for a full vehicle. Wouldn't it be bad ass if the shop charged 2k-3k? Wouldnt YOU wanna know? 

Archived