Windshield strip that follows the curve?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You made a complicated homemade tool that you should market and make a $$$ off of. Streamline it and sell it. I'd buy the first one.

Llumar has free plans for this ... They call it a bow guide .... Heck, I'm pretty sure it's been shared on tintdude a couple times if you search for it.

Smartie posted it June 26 2012 search ' BOW--GUIDE '

post-33743-0-54391700-1477227430_thumb.j

People never want to pay more that $20 for a visor/strip so I try not to put too much effort into them.  

I buy a 30" roll of 5% and have it cut 20"/10".  I use the 10" roll for all strips (unless I have scrap from the BG).

I simply use the factory edge for the bottom edge of the strip.  Then trace around the matrix on the sides and the top.

Done.

In my opinion using the factory edge produces the cleanest strips.  I've never got into curving them.  When you're using the molding as a guide and hand cutting there's too much room for error.  Just my 2 cents.

You made a complicated homemade tool that you should market and make a $$$ off of. Streamline it and sell it. I'd buy the first one.

Llumar has free plans for this ... They call it a bow guide .... Heck, I'm pretty sure it's been shared on tintdude a couple times if you search for it.

Smartie posted it June 26 2012 search ' BOW--GUIDE '

attachicon.gifbowguide.JPG

Nice.  This is exactly what I was talking about.  Knew I saw it on here once...

When i have to hand cut a strip I run masking tape across the windshield where i want the strip to end and use the edge of the masking tape as a cut guide for my film. You have to have a fairly steady hand but Ive had good results with it. If necessary you could run a second layer of tape over the first to give yourself a more pronounced edge to cut against.

When i have to hand cut a strip I run masking tape across the windshield where i want the strip to end and use the edge of the masking tape as a cut guide for my film. You have to have a fairly steady hand but Ive had good results with it. If necessary you could run a second layer of tape over the first to give yourself a more pronounced edge to cut against.

That's similar to the way I was taught, except using freezer paper to make a template...

First I use a wooden ruler with notches every half inch and a dry erase marker dragged across the top to make my bottom line. 

v1.jpg 

v2.jpg 

Then I use 1/4 masking tape lain across that line and the frit lines on the top and sides. 

v3.jpg 

I then lay plastic coated freezer paper across it (spray some water on the area first) cut it roughly over size, smooth it out, and draw the lines with a pen using the edge of the tape underneath as a guide for the pen onto the paper. 

v4.jpg 

The edge of the masking tape under the paper will guide your pen. 

Transfer the paper to your cutting table, and draw the tapers onto it using something round like a roll of tape. Use the pattern to cut your film and install. 

This way takes a little longer but the results are always perfect. 

v5.jpg

I use the top gasket when available and straight enough, on the newer Ford's I use the bottom gasket and use the liner as a template, probably have 10 or 12 laying around for that truck. I do strips for $75 and haven't had a complaint on the price. That strip can take more time to do than 2 roll ups so I charge for it, but if rather do the whole windshield. We'll discount a strip on xyz and up that's it, any other film choice and your paying full price.

Archived