Is this a smart start?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never pulled a door panel before. Every now and then me and this shop owner talks he told me he haven't pulled one in awhile. Just a few hours ago he told me I can come in his shop and learn a little bit for a price of course but imma do it.

I wouldn't pay "the price of a course" to learn a little bit.

IMO at 55+ this is the wrong business to start into unless you can quickly build a business and have some good employees. The physical part of this job is not for the older. I am 45 and was just thinking it is time to consider a different career that I can work past 60. Crawling in and out of the back seats of cars sucks.

Best advice would be to start something else. This industry is broken and oversaturated with price rates falling instead of rising. Im ready to move on to other things myself cause i dont see it possibly to retire on and dont want be doing this when im older. If i knew what i know now i would of never gotten into this trade. Theres plenty if business' that are needed, that will make you more while not doing somehthing that is labor intense. Serioulsly starting a tint business is as original as wanting to open pizza place.

Yea I'm only 22. I went in today and had a great time. I asked every customer what they looked for in a tint job. Out of the 11 customers 9 said they looked into getting tint to make there car look more appealing the other 2 was older and said there were just getting ready for summer and they want privacy. I also asked them what defines a good tint job they all said as long as it's no bubbles and no light gaps I fine with it.

Congrats on getting started man. Sounds like you have the energy and enthusiasm to hit the ground running. Be sure to let people know that you are learning so offer a discount and try to do as many of your friends and families cars as you can. Personally almost all of my work is on the commercial and residential side. There's a lot of money on that side of the business and I would strongly suggest learning it as well. The automotive side is harder on the body no doubt as ryker said. I'm 29 and hung film for 14 hours today and probably made more than most people do in a week or two easy. There is a lot of money to be made in this industry if you have the right attitude and work hard. It sounds like you have it so go out and kick some ass.

Thanks grizzlies im trying man. My girl tripped out when she found out I actually have a spiral full of notes. I try to learn everyday sometimes I even day dream about it. Yea imma try and get some more cars in so I can practice.

my partner and i are both 22. started at 15/16 and started mobile for couple years, then a garage from our house, and just moved into a shop about 4 months ago. Hit it hard, Youtube will teach you tremendous amounts, but hands on is the greatest. if you know the basics, then go on to the more difficult things and master those. little tricks here and there help as well. Message us for any questions you have. Great to see another Tinter out there! good luck my friend  :thumb

Guest Metro Films

I never pulled a door panel before. Every now and then me and this shop owner talks he told me he haven't pulled one in awhile. Just a few hours ago he told me I can come in his shop and learn a little bit for a price of course but imma do it.

I wouldn't pay "the price of a course" to learn a little bit.

IMO at 55+ this is the wrong business to start into unless you can quickly build a business and have some good employees. The physical part of this job is not for the older. I am 45 and was just thinking it is time to consider a different career that I can work past 60. Crawling in and out of the back seats of cars sucks.

Best advice would be to start something else. This industry is broken and oversaturated with price rates falling instead of rising. Im ready to move on to other things myself cause i dont see it possibly to retire on and dont want be doing this when im older. If i knew what i know now i would of never gotten into this trade. Theres plenty if business' that are needed, that will make you more while not doing somehthing that is labor intense. Serioulsly starting a tint business is as original as wanting to open pizza place.
Well said my friend. This business is saturated. Unless the 99 dollar shops go away which they won't. The industry is slowly dying. It also seems like nobody takes our trade seriously. Because its so fucken saturated. Good Luck England. I managed to make a little something for myself in this industry but can i tell you one thing, the physical part of this job (unless your being treated fairly) is what will kill you YOU WILL have to do 5 cars a day minimum make it . I replaced a guy at one shop because his back gave out and another at a dealer because they were basically paying him peanuts. Also im in SoCal and ive subject to heat exhaustion several times....nothing is worse than going to the e.r. with no insurance or at least not a decent one. GOOD luck England. Also if your just in it to hop in and hop out. Know that this is also a problem.

Archived