2018 Audi Q5 SQ5 front door sweeps

smookee408@yahoo.com

Normally I just do the two front doors on these and the seals are tight. I did remove the door panel once but its a pain. The door handle has a plastic that is super tight to remove and you always crack it a little on the back side. Too many ridges that hold it together. Plus the door panel is heavy. I have to use three bungee cords to hold the panel. This new method, well not exactly new but in my bag of tricks. Remove the trim piece by popping it out and sliding it towards the front exposing two torx bolts. Pop the top of the panel towards the rear and remove the sweep. Now install is cake with bomb drop method. Putting the sweep back in remember to spray some slip on the underside of the sweep and it slides right back. Here's a pic of where the two bolts are located. 

IMG_1176.JPG

Ya beat me to it Smookee!   

Try the broad prise tool first like the pics below. Into the top of the trim and gently lift the lever.

IMG_20170822_145045174.jpg.0f2ca5f90473fc310d5e27302e79175a.jpg

IMG_20170822_145143556.jpg.ff54640962fc9b898624e6c7b2820f00.jpgIMG_20170822_144956141.jpg.c36a4a208c149fab390b680ffcca03a9.jpg

You will sweat significantly less de-trimming it this way as the trim pops out nicely, then, as you say slide trim to the door hinge and pull back.

I like to make extra work for myself, so I still remove the whole panel, and to do so, start at the bottom of the handle trim face and gently use the broad prise tool on each side of the handle trim face to remove another 2x T25s, then pull the panel;

IMG_20170822_142630182.jpg.f22a9e17724023347877b726576940f3.jpgIMG_20170822_150203287.jpg.0025aaea16c10fdf25a2445b5e02cb48.jpg

Interesting....I could count the number of Audi's I have done in my life in one hand.... But what shows up today!?!? 

Thanks for making this faster than me trying to figure this out myself guys!   :thumb2  

IMG_20170825_111230711.jpg

Edited by Slick

It's the door handle trim I don't like taking out. It's super stuck to it. With the sweeps removed it's cake so I'm glad I don't have to remove the panel. I lucked out today not having to do a brand new A8L. Can u believe that that car doesn't come with felt. The seals is a harder type of rubber too. 

Happy to have helped Slick!

I Audi daily and I think it helps with the tools demonstrated and allowing a little more time to take care. I admit I enjoy working with them and the little puzzles the engineers throw out there to keep it interesting. 😀

On 8/25/2017 at 8:49 PM, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

It's the door handle trim I don't like taking out. It's super stuck to it. With the sweeps removed it's cake so I'm glad I don't have to remove the panel. I lucked out today not having to do a brand new A8L. Can u believe that that car doesn't come with felt. The seals is a harder type of rubber too. 

Just did one last week, I'm sure I'm gonna have to figure out a way to felt it, :facepalm 1 piece seal like a panamera :thanks Germany 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, smookee408@yahoo.com said:

Normally I just do the two front doors on these and the seals are tight. I did remove the door panel once but its a pain. The door handle has a plastic that is super tight to remove and you always crack it a little on the back side. Too many ridges that hold it together. Plus the door panel is heavy. I have to use three bungee cords to hold the panel. This new method, well not exactly new but in my bag of tricks. Remove the trim piece by popping it out and sliding it towards the front exposing two torx bolts. Pop the top of the panel towards the rear and remove the sweep. Now install is cake with bomb drop method. Putting the sweep back in remember to spray some slip on the underside of the sweep and it slides right back. Here's a pic of where the two bolts are located. 

IMG_1176.JPG

Did you install felt? Was wondering if the Audi Q5 needed felt. 

15 hours ago, CaliTINT said:

Did you install felt? Was wondering if the Audi Q5 needed felt. 

The Q5 and SQ5 don’t need felt. I can tint them without removing the door panels but I’ll get small side creases at the sides where the break line is at. Not really noticeable when heated out but with the few extra min it takes to remove the panel I can do an even cleaner install faster and easier. With the panel removed I just do a full peel and bomb drop it. Then I’ll move to the next door and come back at the end to file the top edge. The hardest panels to remove are the A6 and A8. A6 has tight clips and require you to lift up. The A8 has the power shades. The rest of the Audi line up only takes less then 2 mins a door for removal.