Top cut issues

Lately I’ve been having a lot of top cut issues. Film will snag on me, pattern will turn out choppy, you name it I’ve had it happen. I always use a fresh carbon blade and haven’t switched film brands or anything. I always see people mention keeping your blade at a certain angle or degree and I always think I’m doing it right:lol

any good advice or videos on this? Thanks guys 

winter is harder to cut top of doors.  dirt and  salt on top of doors chews blades up.  if the first pass is rough on the cut I glance at the blade to see if its rough and click another out if needed.  if the edge looked good I wipe the top of door to remove debris.  tempered doors you can change the angle and shave a 1/32 to smooth(round top).  lam have to shift up a 1/16 to recut(square edge).   vids on the tube if you want to see

11 minutes ago, shadytints said:

winter is harder to cut top of doors.  dirt and  salt on top of doors chews blades up.  if the first pass is rough on the cut I glance at the blade to see if its rough and click another out if needed.  if the edge looked good I wipe the top of door to remove debris.  tempered doors you can change the angle and shave a 1/32 to smooth(round top).  lam have to shift up a 1/16 to recut(square edge).   vids on the tube if you want to see

You only use one click of your blade? If I don't have like half the blade out I accidentally push against the glass too hard slip and then screw up my cut. That or the blade goes dull halfway and leaves a really choppy, perforated cut.

7 minutes ago, shadytints said:

keep 3 or 4 out cutting tops.  knife perpendicular to the door, about 30 angle forward and the back edge up 10 degrees.

I will keep that in mind. I also realize I’ve been rolling the window down way to far when I do my top cut and haven’t been letting the excess kind of tack to the top of the door. Which really seems to help 

30 minutes ago, TQtinting said:

I will keep that in mind. I also realize I’ve been rolling the window down way to far when I do my top cut and haven’t been letting the excess kind of tack to the top of the door. Which really seems to help 

I do about the exact opposite. Trim it to where there's only an inch overlap then go back and cut. I cut from mirror to frame it nose to but as Stan used to say. Also I always wet the film so my leading doesn't lift the film.

Think of it this way though during Michael Jordan's career do you think he practiced free throws? Sometimes you just gotta practice. Take a piece lay on the glass and cut the top. Get done slide it up and cut again. Repeat as much as needed.

:twocents

:yeah  I've gotten to where I use my red dot for scoring or cutting against an edge and freehand on peelboard started using nt autoloader 5 blade guy for my top edges. I cut doubles a lot and the plastic body won't score my opposite windows top edge. Practice/fine tune my cut film is the last 4-6 ft of film that I won't use on client cars.