new to tinting, how to work on difficult vehicles?

Hey guys, I finally have training down. Just wondering, how did you start off? were you afraid of accepting customers cars to work on? How did you overcome certain vehicles that had really difficult windows to work on? 

My issues as of now is that I am scared because I dont know how to take off a rear window and if It needs to be cut around things attached on the inside of the window. Also, how do you tint windows with window visors?

What are the biggest concerns when cutting patterns and How can I avoid them or learn them?

Edited by bpbv6-6

There is a wealth of info on this topic in many different threads as well as YouTube. You will need to navigate these particulars. If I have to step by step explain and answer your particular questions, there will be a service charge:yawn

Why would you take off a rear window? You have the training down? Did they train you to take off the rear window? How did that go? I am curious because I have never done that. Been doing this a while and would love to learn a new technique. Thank you

Carry two olfa knives in your pouch. One for cutting doors. One for ONLY cutting back windows or 1/4 windows. Mark the one that you use for back windows only (I have a small piece of black vinyl on mine). The reason for  this is every time you cut the top edge of a door glass, your blade will get dulled. So if you use that same blade on the back window, even if it’s freshly snapped there’s still a chance you’ll score the glass. And that’s no bueno. Using the marked knife will guarantee the blade is the sharpest it can be because it’ll be fresh from tip to end. But make sure to still snap it every time you lift it off the glass to cut a different edge(that’s what I do anyway). 

Edited by Blackwolftinting
grammar

On 6/16/2018 at 9:27 PM, Blackwolftinting said:

Carry two olfa knives in your pouch. One for cutting doors. One for ONLY cutting back windows or 1/4 windows. Mark the one that you use for back windows only (I have a small piece of black vinyl on mine). The reason for  this is every time you cut the top edge of a door glass, your blade will get dulled. So if you use that same blade on the back window, even if it’s freshly snapped there’s still a chance you’ll score the glass. And that’s no bueno. Using the marked knife will guarantee the blade is the sharpest it can be because it’ll be fresh from tip to end. But make sure to still snap it every time you lift it off the glass to cut a different edge(that’s what I do anyway). 

I agree about multiple knifes, but in my case i use a knife with a carbon blade just for top edge of glass and only out 2 segments of blade extended (nothing wrong with more if you like), another knife with a stainless steel blade for cuts using the point and a third knife with SS blade that i use extended about 6+ segments for scraping the glass inside the gaskets.

On 6/16/2018 at 4:09 AM, bpbv6-6 said:

Hey guys, I finally have training down. Just wondering, how did you start off? were you afraid of accepting customers cars to work on? How did you overcome certain vehicles that had really difficult windows to work on? 

My issues as of now is that I am scared because I dont know how to take off a rear window and if It needs to be cut around things attached on the inside of the window. Also, how do you tint windows with window visors?

What are the biggest concerns when cutting patterns and How can I avoid them or learn them?

You may want to do a few freebies for practice at your own expense, your questions don't sound like you'll do a high quality job but it's good that's what you're working towards. As far as afraid of new customers, this means you should be an employee and not a business owner until you are comfortable.

Watch youtube videos until you get that training. Search on youtube for users like Tintstuff, Rob Forbes, Rodney McClure, Window Tinting Business, Becomeawindowtinter.com, and my favorite because he's a good example of fast and furious tint without the bs Window Tint Warriors.

I've never taken a back window off, please elaborate on that.

13 hours ago, Tint Slayer said:

You may want to do a few freebies for practice at your own expense, your questions don't sound like you'll do a high quality job but it's good that's what you're working towards. As far as afraid of new customers, this means you should be an employee and not a business owner until you are comfortable.

Watch youtube videos until you get that training. Search on youtube for users like Tintstuff, Rob Forbes, Rodney McClure, Window Tinting Business, Becomeawindowtinter.com, and my favorite because he's a good example of fast and furious tint without the bs Window Tint Warriors.

I've never taken a back window off, please elaborate on that.

Tintstuff matt is kool he is doing live streams with answering all your questions......youtube him...

You really just have to get your feet wet. As a (learning) tinter, you are going to come across lots of vehicles that take a different approach to it. You need to be resourceful, think outside the box, analyze and execute certain techniques. Also with cars you aren't sure of, just simply look it up on this forum and/or on youtube. Usually someone has discussed it or made a video on it. 

Hell I was working on a car today that I have done plenty of (but not enough of them lately). I kinda forgot my procedure on it and ended up redoing the back window 3 times before getting it right. In the end, I just analyzed the glass, etc. and came up with a solution. Also checked up on the forums for tips and its done. 

On 6/20/2018 at 8:57 PM, CaliTINT said:

You really just have to get your feet wet. As a (learning) tinter, you are going to come across lots of vehicles that take a different approach to it. You need to be resourceful, think outside the box, analyze and execute certain techniques. Also with cars you aren't sure of, just simply look it up on this forum and/or on youtube. Usually someone has discussed it or made a video on it. 

Hell I was working on a car today that I have done plenty of (but not enough of them lately). I kinda forgot my procedure on it and ended up redoing the back window 3 times before getting it right. In the end, I just analyzed the glass, etc. and came up with a solution. Also checked up on the forums for tips and its done. 

Those back glass redo's are a heartbreaker