WIfes car needs tint, best value out there?

So i need to get my wifes car tinted. Economics prevent me from saying "whats best" and instead ask whats the best value. We normally keep cars for a loooonnnngggg time so durability is number one with heat/uv/ir being secondary. The car is a metallic gray and i would prefer something in a true black. I tried researching this butt here are so many tints available that making the right call, even with some information, is not easy. I have been given quotes for johnson, 3m and suntek but really hope to get pointed in the right direction film wise and choose an installer from there.

tia

James

USAF!

I personally do not care for any of those three brands. Installer here (NC) uses Johnson and it fails within a couple years. Suntek I would say is a step above that but from several different post I've read is at about the 4 to 5 year mark for carbon. 3m has a great name for themselves and that is going to be dependent on which line you get if it's any good or not. CS or above I believe you'll be fine as far as longevity. However there's been several people mention that it had a Haze to it. That being said I've never personally installed or seen it for that matter. 

I'm a 3M installer and I've also tried some samples from Suntek so I can give you my perspective keeping that in mind. As far as 3M goes I install a ton of the FX Premium and Color Stable film. 3M doesn't warranty the FX series for color shift, I have yet to see any issues with it in the three years I've been using it and I have been able to track it on some vehicles for that full time period. That is something to keep in mind though. As far North as we (Im in Wyoming) are the environment isn't as hard on film as it is down South. The Color Stable does have some haze to it, some people notice it but most don't. I only carry it in the 20 and 35 so that's all I can really speak to, but the haze is more prominent in the 20. Both series have a nice appearance but I prefer the CS in that aspect as well as it's higher performance.

On to Suntek, I've tried samples of Carbon and CIR. Carbon scratches incredibly easily and I would be concerned about the longevity of it as a result, it does have a nice appearance though. CIR has a better scratch coat, at least in my limited experience with it, and offers higher performance. The drawbacks are that it is noticeably green in color and it also has a haze to it.

Edited by highplains

I am in Idaho. It certainly doesnt have the heat of Arizona (Luke AFB/Phoenix was first duty station) but the sun is out and temps are in the 90's for weeks and over 100 at times. There is a 3m installer in Boise, though i need to verify the specifics.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming! I am looking to have my car done in the next week or so.

If going with 3M, I recommend going with Color Stable or higher.  This will give you decent heat rejection and will last.  If you are looking for ultimate heat rejection, go with the Crystalline though is may be roughly double the price.  I would avoid Johnson, it is not the best quality.  Besides the film brand, make sure the shop you choose offers quality installations.  Reviews are great to guide you, but highly recommend stopping by the shop to see work, samples, and to get a feel for them.

As for as other quality brands...Llumar, Formula One, Madico (Charcool/Wincos), Global, SolarFX, Express, Huper Optik, and XPEL is most of them.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, stormy69 said:

I am in Idaho. It certainly doesnt have the heat of Arizona (Luke AFB/Phoenix was first duty station) but the sun is out and temps are in the 90's for weeks and over 100 at times. There is a 3m installer in Boise, though i need to verify the specifics.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming! I am looking to have my car done in the next week or so.

Hey James,

We are located in boise and use XPEL CS and XR. Feel free to send me an email with any questions or concerns. We can show you around our shop and let you try out our heat displays. paintprotectionfilm@lylepearson.com