What does “DRY” refer to? (Flat Glass)

Hey guys, I’m ordering my first order of flat glass film and I’m looking at the Express Delta Dual Reflective. At the end of the description it says DRY. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this across other suppliers as well.

What does this mean exactly?

It's just the type of adhesive and that's what you want from them. Install will be normal. Maybe [mention=33743]smartie2shoes[/mention] could give us the technical side of it.

Oh okay cool. Thanks for your input. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t buying a weird film that would require some sort of fancy install or something.

If I only choose two shades to start what would you recommend? Any input on roll sizes?

1 hour ago, quality tintz said:

Does dry adhesive come out cleaner i always.wondered ???

I think it does... and at the very least, if you need to get a spec out from under the film, it's easier to clean a film with dry adhesive then a PS film. (IMO)

57 minutes ago, Apex Tint said:

If I only choose two shades to start what would you recommend? Any input on roll sizes?

I would suggest a 35% and a 50%. Roll sizes - good question. Not sure what are the most common windows for your area. I would probably go with a 36" box. (Also depends on if your focusing on residential or commercial)

I usually order my film according to the job. I don't keep much in stock.

7 hours ago, Apex Tint said:

Oh okay cool. Thanks for your input. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t buying a weird film that would require some sort of fancy install or something.

I really wouldn't order anything before I had a job lined up. However my most popular are 15 25 and 35 with 25 being the most common. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:05 PM, Apex Tint said:

Hey guys, I’m ordering my first order of flat glass film and I’m looking at the Express Delta Dual Reflective. At the end of the description it says DRY. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this across other suppliers as well.

What does this mean exactly?

Dry adhesives (to the touch) are water-activated non-reactivable adhesive systems. Some label it CDA, CD, CDF, DA or in this case, DRY. As opposed to pressure sensitive (sticky) adhesives, dry adhesives need water, the silica in glass to activate and heat to dry out and cure to bond.

Pressure sensitive adhesives do not need activating or curing. They require a slip agent to lower tack long enough to 'press' the adhesive to the surface. It is pressure 'sensitive; the greater the pressure the better surface bond it obtains, all the while the slip agent gets removed. These adhesives do not cure, they simply dry out and bond strength reaches maximum.

Dry pressure sensitive adhesives or detactified (dry to the touch) have a coating on their surface that needs be flushed away to expose the tacky aspect of the pressure sensitive adhesive below. They, too, do not cure, they simply dry out to maximum bond strength.

Edited by Tintguy1980

Make sure you use X100 to apply it if that's what is suggested by the Mfr. otherwise..with some films..you will see it on the floor the next day.. CDF..actually stands for "Curls Down to Floor" 

1 hour ago, TomTint said:

Make sure you use X100 to apply it if that's what is suggested by the Mfr. otherwise..with some films..you will see it on the floor the next day.. CDF..actually stands for "Curls Down to Floor" 

You don't need it with theirs, Joy or baby shampoo works just fine.

5 hours ago, smartie2shoes said:

Dry pressure sensitive adhesives or detactified (dry to the touch) have a coating on their surface that needs be flushed away to expose the tacky aspect of the pressure sensitive adhesive below.

Are any films still using this method? I know 3M used to have some... not sure if they still do. But a bunch of years ago I was helping a friend of mine on some 3m installs and I think it was called de-tac or something.... I found it to be a pain and just another reason to dislike 3m - installation wise at least.