Tining front Windshield leaves hazy/blurry look

Guest wkjoyce

Guest wkjoyce

It almost sounds like there is hope after all. So what film is the clearest or free of grain as I think it was called? Something suitable for a windshield application. Something between 50 and 70% lum. transmittance.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CloudWalker

I tinted my front windsheild with Sungard Slate 35% and it is perfect. I would say it is as close to 100% optically clear as possible.

Guest wkjoyce

CloudWalker, Custom Effects, did you guys apply the film to the whole windshield or just a visor at the top of the windshield? Is this SunGard a metallized or dyed film? Any website with more info? Does it come in 60-70%? Can I order this precut?

Guest Custom Effects

I've done my whole windshield. Metallized film, they used to have 70% but got rid of it. You would need to find a place that has a computer cut system.

Guest wkjoyce

Madico (on my car now) and Llumar are the only films that I know of that local tinters use. If I could get the SunGard or 3M film that is optically clear for windshield use, precut for my windshield, well all I would to do is have have a tinter apply it for me.

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

Sun Gard has a Slate line of films? Shows you when the last time I was into tinting cars. :)

As this thread keeps getting good opinions, I'm very impressed at the detailed research wkjoyce is doing to solve her problem. Some of the questions here should also be asked to the tint shop that you are considering whenever you find one.

I got a woody just hearing TTS's explaination on windshield clarity, I'm frikkin' impressed and I learned something new myself.

With the response by both CE and CW, I can't help but ask everyone......is it possible that our own visions can be different enough to where one person sees optical clarity and another sees slight distortion while looking through the same windshield?

Guest thetintshop

you know how you can see differences in film, where other people can't? because you've been dealing with it so long, and see it everyday, it's easy for you to distinguish differences in film. where the average joe just sees "tint". same with auto glass. I see it everday and can see a minor imperfection a mile away.

of course different eye sights will see different things. you may see a tree with a bunch of leaves where the next guy can actually see the viens on the leaves. height can also change how the glass looks. where you sit in the seat, how close you sit to the glass, ect. it's amazing how these glass manufacturers can be able to make these glasses as clear as they do.

Archived