Tining front Windshield leaves hazy/blurry look

Guest wkjoyce

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest atypicaldave

The blurriness is a combination of the pressure sensitive adhesive and the PVB (polyvinyl butyrul) used as the laminant for the winshield that causes the blurry look. Some suppliers of film have grainy PS adhesive before it hits the glass and the installation process brings it out even more; really only noticed when viewed at an angle.

Florida is the only state in the US that allows windshields to be tinted, others require medical waivers. Outside the US and Canada, all bets are off.

I got my car tinted about 5 weeks ago.  I had the tinter apply a 50% grey to my front windshield.  I can see a slight blurryness when looking out the windshield.  They said it is because the windshield is two pieces of glass and that this is an artifact of the light bending in so many different directions.

I notice slight moisture still left which they said will take longer to dry because of the windshield being two pieces of glass.  If and when the moisture is completely gone, will the blurryness go away or is it a permanent effect of the properties of a windshield?  Is there anything that can be done?  What is the best tint for a windshield to reduce this effect?

Thanks all!

Guest wkjoyce

So atyp, would you say that the 3M or SunGuard are pretty optically clear, or would you recommend something else for windshielf app?

Guest TINTFXold

one might be suspicious of a consumer that knows our industry terminology so well...... :spit makes me very leary of this new member

Archived