Flat Glass Commission

Guest tinting2long

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any owner who pays 50% for auto is a schmuck.

Any owner who pays $.50/sq is a smart schmuck.

Any installer who installs for $.50/sq is an idiot/bad installer.

Not every situation is cut and dried. I've earned 35% to 40% on autos my entire career, so another 10% for whatever resason isn't that drastic, mabey the tinter is supplying film, or helps with the phone and office work too, you never know, so it's hard to make a snap judgment :lol2

Not every situation is cut and dried. I've earned 35% to 40% on autos my entire career, so another 10% for whatever resason isn't that drastic, mabey the tinter is supplying film, or helps with the phone and office work too, you never know, so it's hard to make a snap judgment :lol2

Wow bold statements here.

Expecting $2 a square to install film is too high for standard installs.

Paying $.50 a square is not uncommon in huge installs. This jobs are bid so low, paying normal installing price would force you to lose profit margin.

As a business owner, I am here to make a profit. An installers role is help me make that profit. Now no one has factored in the cost to run the business and the added 35% a business owner has to pay in taxes to keep this installer employed.

Again, expecting $2 a square for normal installs is too high.

Guest a1wintinter

I disagree TINTITMAN, at least with some of your statements. The employees are there to help run a business, making the profit is your job. $2 installer isnt the same as a $.50 installer, in mot cases tou know the better tinter should get more money. Is $2 a sq. normal? Of course not, I was teeling him that so that will give him some area to negotiate from. :lol2

In CA on large jobs over 100,000 sq.ft. you lucky to get .50/ sq.ft. On jobs this big installing close to 1000sq.ft a day isn't uncommon. 500.00 a day isn't bad money.

When I said 50% on auto commision I was talking about 50% of the profit not the gross. 50% of the profit is about the same as 40% of the gross give or take.

a few of you guys make it really clear why some very good tinters make absolutely lousy business owners. what's funny is that if you guys had to pay for the lease, water, electric, gas, phone, supplies, supplemental help, taxes, internet, credit card services, phone book, newspaper, radio and tv you wouldn't make jack with your outstanding business skills :lol2

You are right, I would make a lousy owner, I'm the first to admit that, I was just relating my experience as far as the percent I have always earned for autos. :skit

at 50% you're making alot more than the boss..He won't be in biz too long..

50% on autos is pretty good :skit The flat glass guys usually get paid by the sq.ft. around a buck a sq.ft. on up :lol2 So try to get $2 a sq :heh

:heh

Not every situation is cut and dried. I've earned 35% to 40% on autos my entire career, so another 10% for whatever resason isn't that drastic, mabey the tinter is supplying film, or helps with the phone and office work too, you never know, so it's hard to make a snap judgment :skit

:skit geez, how do you do it on slow months? I guess I just liek being your own boss huh?

Guest VOLTRON

there was a project going on here in Dallas that the dealer wanted me to work in the winter. It paid .33 cents a sq for R&R. I told the absolutly not, and that he was bringing down the market with these prices. Although he just bought a big house that he was trying to furnish so I think that is where some of the money went. Although people do call him 2 dollar #$%.

Guest xlabel

If your shop is supplying the film, and your installing it I would ask for 2/sf. If you provided the lead or sold the job yourself I'd ask for 5-10% in addition to the 2/sf.

Guest a1wintinter
If your shop is supplying the film, and your installing it I would ask for 2/sf. If you provided the lead or sold the job yourself I'd ask for 5-10% in addition to the 2/sf.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :blah

Archived