GROUP DESIGN CUTTING TABLE

Guest RCOOTE

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The metal tubing for this is a little expensive around here. The total cost of this is going to be too high to get it done soon. I am going to have to figure out sumtin a little less expensive.

ELECTRICAL CONDUIT.. HOME DEPT, around here a 10' length is $7.cdn The thing is, it's galvanized steel, all you have to do it grind off the galvanized coating where ever you need to weld. Then you can re-paint with a galvanized paint. OR , just paint the whole frame with tremclad :thumb

Is it not easier to weld square tubing (cheaper as well) labor charges would be lower and material used to do the weld would be less. With round tubing the ends should be notched to do a good weld right? That would increase the labor charges for someone not versed in welding. I feel like there is something missing (maybe my intelligence) but something making it more complicated than it should be.

Why does this have to made of welded steel? A well made wood frame would work real nice.

True!!

I was trying to stick to the plans as much as possible is about the biggest reason for me.

I may have to modify what I actually make to make it possible for what I have going now.

I've welded all my life and design things like this often, TRUE, it would be better to notch the tube ends, but then you're into more cost. Just fill weld the ends..

Another option is take a 1" endmill and cut into each tube end required to give a bit of a concave for better fit...

I just made a quick little "V" on the grinder after I cut each intersecting tube and about a 1/8-3/16" bead was plenty to fill the gaps. To be honest. I'm not an experienced welder, and this was a rather simple job for me. I don't see why people are makinging such a ruckus about it. If you don't want to to it, don't do it. I built my last one out of wood, and without the glass it was probably 100-150lbs. This one is probably 30lbs, is more useful and seems to be just as sturdy. The materials were about the same cost on both, but 1/2 the wood one was built out of scrap wood I had, and I think was still about $20 more. Materials should cost around $100. If you don't like it, it's easy, don't bother trying to build it, if you have a better idea, good for you. I don't see where the disrespect comes from when the guy is just trying to share some ideas with other people in a industry he is involved in.

Archived