how do you hide lines with no rear defroster?

Guest DangerousDarren

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thatsnappyguy
Butt seam. Overlap and cut during install. Or just get the right size film next time. :D

:mad No other way :lol

personally.....if I HAD to do it in sections, which I would never do, I would NOT do the "invisiseam" method. a few weeks or even days later, the film with contract just enough during the drying period and then you will see the a very small light gap between the two peices. if it were me, besides waiting till my big roll of film arrived, I would just do lay the two factory edges over each other while making the overlay as small as possible.

Guest rondy_
personally.....if I HAD to do it in sections, which I would never do, I would NOT do the "invisiseam" method. a few weeks or even days later, the film with contract just enough during the drying period and then you will see the a very small light gap between the two peices. if it were me, besides waiting till my big roll of film arrived, I would just do lay the two factory edges over each other while making the overlay as small as possible.

I dont know how would you overlap two factory edges doing a 2 piece back window and have a small overlay :poke as far as my logic goes there wont be an even overlay. it would be larger from the sides than the center.

I dont know how would you overlap two factory edges doing a 2 piece back window and have a small overlay :poke as far as my logic goes there wont be an even overlay. it would be larger from the sides than the center.

you would overlay the two on the outside and cut it as if you were going to hide it behind a defroster. When you install on the inside give it a 1/8 th inch overlay. Snappy is right though, invisible seam will eventually show a light gap. IMO neither option will look good.

It's a good thing someone came up with dry shrinking. I'm horrible at cutting overlaps :poke. Takes longer and gives poor results, double whammy. I've never tried cutting the overlap on the outside. Anyone do it that way?

I saw a guy do a Cavalier 4 door back glass at a Sun-gard competition in 2 pieces. He did his cut on the outside and layed it inside. I nose printed that window looking for the seam line and couldn't see anything but a clean tint job!!

In answer to the original thread topic....you should just do a slight over lap and go. The only other BETTER option is to get some film that is large enough!

Guest scottydosnntkno
It's a good thing someone came up with dry shrinking. I'm horrible at cutting overlaps :beer. Takes longer and gives poor results, double whammy. I've never tried cutting the overlap on the outside. Anyone do it that way?

I saw a guy do a Cavalier 4 door back glass at a Sun-gard competition in 2 pieces. He did his cut on the outside and layed it inside. I nose printed that window looking for the seam line and couldn't see anything but a clean tint job!!

In answer to the original thread topic....you should just do a slight over lap and go. The only other BETTER option is to get some film that is large enough!

every time I try to do a two piece for fun, I always hack it up when I'm trimming it inside. one piece is so much easier.

Archived