snapping a rear glass off the car

old school style left back with the old silverado's with the ceramic edges...lol...where you cut and shrink on the inside...use to love'em now I hate 'em

I know you got to use alot off slip solution to be able to shrink on the inside, I try to use less slip......a solution makes a big differance to alot of other factors when tinting...I'm not trying to tell you since I know you already know this...thanks for your comments its helping me understand why this technique would work for you.....

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
old school style left back with the old silverado's with the ceramic edges...lol...where you cut and shrink on the inside...use to love'em now I hate 'em

I know you got to use alot off slip solution to be able to shrink on the inside,

:dunno not true. I don't like alot of slip. I'd rather like to just power squeegee the finger down and have it stick right away and avoid shrinking at all. that's what I do the majority of the time. if it needs heat...then I just hit it with the gun.

what film are you useing with this technique? snappy tounced on this with the fire chicken back glass...if glass has slight curve its best to try and mimic the contour of the glass the best you can...when it come to this subject of laying film with out molding it...well I geuss im wrong, since some tint is so plyable and stretchable it shrinks all on its own..well from the heat of the sun..... :dunno

Guest scottydosnntkno

I know you got to use alot off slip solution to be able to shrink on the inside,

:cool not true. I don't like alot of slip. I'd rather like to just power squeegee the finger down and have it stick right away and avoid shrinking at all. that's what I do the majority of the time. if it needs heat...then I just hit it with the gun.

:dunno I usually get one or two little fingers that pop up on a roll up, just hold the gasket back, heat a little and push it out no problemo. Takes a lot less time than going through all the work of snapping the film on the outside first.

Guest Sunlimited
Snappy, I agree with you on the amount of heat. Certain vehicles that take an extreme amount of heat, surely will have problems quicker than others, but as far as shrinking,??? What you are doing when you shrink the back glass of a camaro, lets say, you are shaping the film to the contour of the glass. How would this lead to more "tension"? I would guess the opposite for anyone who chose not to shrink that, ( though I've never seen that). If that worked and you were able to pretty much pull and stretch the film into place, I would think that would cause more tension, or create an easier place for adhesive failure.

what you are saying and what I said, is the exact same thing.

when over strinking is mentioed its not as you two speak of...agree on the same term of the fire chicken /cam....when I speak of over shrinking its that sweet spot just past a perfect shrink..everone knows on this note when a glass has alot of curve that even when srank to perfect on the outside..it gets transfered to the inside and normaly has a few fingers in the glass due to the fact that the curve is in fact diferent from the outside. seldom when I shrink on the outside ill pul the top of the film back and heat it as I was curling/snapping....this helps drasticly in my case and when it gets tranfered to the inside there is no fingers to worry about...as if I didnt curle slightly on the outside id be chaseing fingers once it got to the inside...

on the fire chickens ive always pulled diamond shaped fingers towards that bottom lip and heated those, never running into it comeing back off the glass....nore would I have ever tried to strech the tint to far "on that note I know what you speak of and can relate to it" but doesnt apply to this thread...im not overshrinking it like you think.....I guess I cant say OVER STRINKING...lol..you guys think I mean melt when I say over..lol

I tend to think over shrinking will lead to peanuts, melting the film is generally not necessary, very few exceptions do I singe the sides..

maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have never once snapped anything (except olfablades). if it needs shrinking then I just shrink it on the glass. :cool

:cool

maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have never once snapped anything (except olfablades). if it needs shrinking then I just shrink it on the glass. :dunno

where do you weed your film a glass table or wall? I use a wall so it makes more since to do everthing on the wall...if I used a table it would collect more dust than a wall would...if I used a table dry the film would slide around as I weeded it(cutting extra film away)..I use a glass wall that I wet and weed extra film off. so it wouldnt make since to remove off the wall, then put it on a dirty car and shrink it...I have always done doors this way and now on certain cars I will be doing it to the rear glass also...

so I ask where do you remove your extra film at? a wall or a table?

When I used a plotter, I didn't like to weed the back glass prior to shrinking it, I liked to cut it a bit larger than the plotter cut so I still had film around the pattern while shrinking. On the sides though, I used a peel board to weed them out..

Guest Sunlimited
We NEVER bring a heat gun to the inside of the car... That's a quick way to buying a new door panel :dunno

Yep, especially a g35 or 350/370....No need for any of that..

Archived