Smoking ban?

I dont have a problem with an establishment being smoke free, what I do have a problem is it being forced upon a business. I smoke, and yes I know its nasty, and stinky, and could kill me. Quiting is extremely difficult. The City of Houston is smoke free. Now, do I not have a right anymore to smoke? Some of you say dont force it upon me, but its ok to force not smoking upon me? No one is forcing you to go into a smoking establishment...thats your choice. There are limited places here that I can smoke in, but I primarily visit non smoking establishments b/c there are more of them, AND IM NOT BITCHING. I think it would have been better to leave it up to the business owners to whether or not smoking will be allowed. If they do allow it, then stay your ass out if you dont like smokers/smokey rooms. Dont force what you want upon me.

CT, where is the link for the 30% reduction. Ive heard it both ways, second hand smoke bad, second hand smoke has no affect (unless your head is in a funnel of cigarette smoke). I dont smoke in my house, and never in any apt I lived in b/c I grew up in a smoke filled house and its nasty...but I still chose to smoke.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont have a problem with an establishment being smoke free, what I do have a problem is it being forced upon a business. I smoke, and yes I know its nasty, and stinky, and could kill me. Quiting is extremely difficult. The City of Houston is smoke free. Now, do I not have a right anymore to smoke? Some of you say dont force it upon me, but its ok to force not smoking upon me? No one is forcing you to go into a smoking establishment...thats your choice. There are limited places here that I can smoke in, but I primarily visit non smoking establishments b/c there are more of them, AND IM NOT BITCHING. I think it would have been better to leave it up to the business owners to whether or not smoking will be allowed. If they do allow it, then stay your ass out if you dont like smokers/smokey rooms. Dont force what you want upon me.

CT, where is the link for the 30% reduction. Ive heard it both ways, second hand smoke bad, second hand smoke has no affect (unless your head is in a funnel of cigarette smoke). I dont smoke in my house, and never in any apt I lived in b/c I grew up in a smoke filled house and its nasty...but I still chose to smoke.

You dont know how many lung cancer patients have died who never smoke a single cig in their life but lived or worked around smokers. The reason second hand smoke is so dangerous is because it is classified as a class A carcinogen. That is a scientific fact. Here are a few other class A carcinogens:

-Asbestos

-Chromium

-Arsenic Compounds

-Ether

So how would you like if you were sitting in a restaurant eating and the guy on the other side of the room was spraying Asbestos particles or Arsenic in the air? Would you be worried for your own health or your child's health? Or would you be worried about his right to do so? I know thats a little extreme, but it is comparing apples to apples since they are both classified as class A carcinogens.

Get rid of smoking everywhere as far as I'm concerned. It is the dumbest most idiotic thing you can do. I hate it.. And as far as "rights" go. Rights is just something we made up. There is no such thing as god given rights or any other rights. The bill of rights was something that we made up and have had to ammend 27 times. So we can pretty much dictate what people have the right to do. Also I had a condo before on top of another condo. The lady downstairs would go on her patio to smoke so she didn't smell up her home. So the smoke would rise directly up and into my condo when I had my patio doors open to enjoy the nice weather. So instead of making her place disgusting and nasty, it would be mine. So I agree with this law. Get rid of em all

This is completly different..that's about the rights of smokers sharing public air..this is about space rented or owned by the smoker

I agree with the ban. Anything you do that can effect my, or anybody elses, health detrimentally, is not OK IMO. They have recently brought in a law locally, that if you are in a car with children and choose to smoke, you can/will be charged....dispite the fact that they "own or rent(lease) the space". Now I know there are those going to say "Yes, but smoking around kids is different" but I disagree. twocents.gif

IMO, if you want to rent/own an apartment and smoke in it, go elsewhere. Anything that discourages smoking (which is costing the health care system here in Canada far more than is being collected in the taxes on it) is OK in my books. Isn't the Ont. gov't currently attempting to sue the big cig. companys because of something like that TW?

This is completly different..that's about the rights of smokers sharing public air..this is about space rented or owned by the smoker

I agree with the ban. Anything you do that can effect my, or anybody elses, health detrimentally, is not OK IMO. They have recently brought in a law locally, that if you are in a car with children and choose to smoke, you can/will be charged....dispite the fact that they "own or rent(lease) the space". Now I know there are those going to say "Yes, but smoking around kids is different" but I disagree. :lol2

IMO, if you want to rent/own an apartment and smoke in it, go elsewhere. Anything that discourages smoking (which is costing the health care system here in Canada far more than is being collected in the taxes on it) is OK in my books. Isn't the Ont. gov't currently attempting to sue the big cig. companys because of something like that TW?

Yes , they are planning a lawsuit.

Good points made by the non smokers here..as I say , I'm a non smoker and don't like smoke so I personally can only benefit...I kind of forgot about the bigger picture which is what it costs the tax payers because of people having their rights.

So wouldn't the easy thing to do would be just to make it illlegal to make cigarettes with huge penalties if your caught selling them ? seems to me this would be the easiest way since either way your infringing upon ones "rights" dunno.gif

So wouldn't the easy thing to do would be just to make it illlegal to make cigarettes with huge penalties if your caught selling them ? seems to me this would be the easiest way since either way your infringing upon ones "rights" :lol2

It would never happen... at least here in the US solely because of the $$$$ they make off of cigarettes and the taxes that go along with it. It's all about the $$$. Smoking kills... and yet they sell it. What kind of sense does that make???? None.... but the money they make off of it is too great to kill their golden goose.

-R

Guest thatsnappyguy

I was a fireman for a few years...you would be suprised how many fires start from cigs. catch a house on fire, the one next to it maybe...appartments go up like crazy b/c of this. they just started selling the fire safe cigs here like they have in NY and other populated appartment places. the fire hazard itself is a great reason to regulate that. smoking in a restaurant is nasty, it would be nice to come back from the pub not smelling like an ashtray. certain places and acomidations for smokers is fare to me...I know its just a habit, not an addiction...but I dont want to stand next to someone smoking. there are places that me and the wife dont go anymore just because of the terrible smoke inside. and then ppl smoking in the cars with the windows rolled up and have the ashtray in the cup holder...thats just nasty. it should be illegal to smoke around children also.

Archived