Antenna in the way

This weekend I am going to tint the back glass of my friends Honda (94-96?) and there's an antenna on the back glass. Do I have to remove it in order to shrink? (I think the answer to that is obvious) I'd rather not if I can get around it. It is for a radio of some kind I guess it would be a CB, and yes he still uses it. He's the only one I know that still has one. I thought about "snapping" but I just don't get it to tell you the truth. I'm racking my brain trying to make sense of how that actually works. I know some exp. people use that method and some don't but any opinions on a way around it or should I just pop that sucker off and be done with it? I guess I would need some type of adhesive to mount it back if I pop it off though. Snap or shrink? I am a newb so keep that in mind. The more I think about it I guess this is a stupid question but I don't wanna pull something off on the outside to just put something on the inside if you get what I mean.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a car phone antenna, is he sure he still uses it? I don't even think there is analog cell carriers anymore. If he is sure he needs it, just cut it off and glue it back on with some double stick tape, a lot of auto glass shops might have some tape from redi cut side view mirrors laying around, maybe ask someone if you can have a couple, they are nice and thin.

I always use my knife to cut the tape under the antenna on the outside to remove it then get my heatgun and heat the inside piece from the outside to remove it,then use 2 sided tape to reinstall it if you have to put it back.

if you stick with this you will learn to take the entire car apart at some point.

Yeah.....putting it back together might prove to be the tough part. :inot

It is a CB/radio antenna not the old analog phone antennas. So its gotta stay unfortunately. I think I've got some double sided tape laying around somewhere so no biggy.

Thanks for the suggestions, there will be many more stupid questions to come I can gurantee that. Are the :gasp 's one size fits all?

take it off....yes they use those for more than cell phones....and if you are using any sort of film with metal in it then cut the film out under the antenna or you will lose signal strength by a good chunk!

Archived