How that's TB working out for you?

Guest tintjackal
Her that actually sounds like a good new poll each week td :lol

:yawn I just get a giggle out of that phrase " Captain Obvious". I cant remember when or what thread but I remember somebody posting it a few times one day. Then it hit me one day on one of Kats post about global Silver I made a post about it being obvious he didnt like the film and Booms responded and it went from there. No harm no foul intended I just find it amusing as hell :lol2

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q-Labs (the company that makes the QUV units) also offers Natural Sunlight Testing at two different facilities in the USA. Learn more at:

http://www.q-lab.com/Q-Trac.html

While natural sunlight is arguably preferred, there are significant drawbacks for us that far outweigh any benefits. The QUV produces nearly the same results. The problem is that we like to remove the test panels every 200-400 hours to photograph them and check the VLT. It would not be practical to do that if the specimens were being tested off-site. The entire test would be subject to long delays and if even one specimen were lost in shipping, the entire test would have to be repeated from the beginning.

The UV light emitted inside the QUV is actually much more severe than natural sunlight. For our purposes, the difference is so slight that it does not make sense.

The most important element in either test is the fact that the different brands and types you are testing are all being exposed simultaneously. This is the only way to get a good insight into how one film compares to another.

-Howard

Edit - Spelling

I love hearing from you guys saying that you've see family members and past customers vehicles 7-10 years down the road with very little color change and fading...thats real life testing.

Hi Pjtintz,

I agree that's nice to hear - but it's not scientific testing. (Help me here Balzy).

Consider the following:

100 individuals are living in the same county of the same state. Basically at the same lat/long in terms of solar exposure. Half of them live on the rural side of town where most folks have a garage and use it.

The other half live in the more urban area where apartment buildings are more common. These folks leave their cars outside.

Of the 50 apartment dwellers, half of them park in lots on the south side of a building while the other 50 park on the north side. The vehicles facing north have their rear windows facing south and are therefore experiencing a much higher exposure.

Now back to the urban folks. Half of them work the day shift, the other half works at night. The night shift workers leave their cars out after sunset in the employer's parking lot.

(You get the picture).

Think of it this way: 100 people can go to the beach on the same afternoon. All can use the same brand of sunblock. Some of them lay down on the sand all day facing up and getting burned. Some go swimming and hang out at the indoor hot dog stand. Others wear hats and coverups so they don't get burned.

But in the QUV - everyone gets burned simultaneously !!!!!

Make sense??

-Howard

I think that The /// Man just re-posted the same pic of the vehicle shot inside under fluorescent light. The QUV tests show the same result, no surprise there. It would have been quite helpful to see the same car shot outside in the daylight.

I think that The /// Man did post a pic of a TB-Tinted vehicle outside - it looked completely different.

-Howard

I know some of you are waiting for this thread to end. I will continue to monitor and answer any questions, but here is a recap:

• If you are a CS only type of dealer - terrific. Just use CS.
  • If you want to incorporate some non-CS, consider True Black or you could wind up with Brands K or J (did I mention they cost more?)
  • True Black (while not a CS) is the best in it's class.
  • As the film ages, TB may take on a Bronze tone, which is accentuated by artificial light, white backgrounds, etc
  • Out in the daylight, the difference is much less obvious.
  • The /// Man's customer did not notice it and probably never would have.

-Howard

I think that The /// Man just re-posted the same pic of the vehicle shot inside under fluorescent light. The QUV tests show the same result, no surprise there. It would have been quite helpful to see the same car shot outside in the daylight.

I think that The /// Man did post a pic of a TB-Tinted vehicle outside - it looked completely different.

-Howard

The inside pictures are 20 TB in my shop, the outside pictures are 20 ATC outside of my shop.

The inside pictures are 20 TB in my shop, the outside pictures are 20 ATC outside of my shop.

Someone thought that was TB turning blue. I don't think you corrected him. Double check me on it.

As the QUV results show (and we agree), it does have a Bronze appearance under the artificial light, but looks much nicer outside. Look at the aged vs, non-aged side by side plate I posted. Also check your own pic as the film is held against the sky. Good correlation there too.

-Howard

Someone thought that was TB turning blue. I don't think you corrected him. Double check me on it.

As the QUV results show (and we agree), it does have a Bronze appearance under the artificial light, but looks much nicer outside. Look at the aged vs, non-aged side by side plate I posted. Also check your own pic as the film is held against the sky. Good correlation there too.

-Howard

No, he was responding to the first pics the car looked brown, now after the strip and re-tint it looked blue.

We don't agree it has a Bronze appearance under artificial light. It looked BROWN under any light. I know you are ignoring the part where I said I saw it a few hours before it came to my shop while I was dropping another Mazda 3 at the dealer, and it was quite notably ugly and brown. Even the bronze films I have installed were a nice bronze/black in appearance, this was straight brown.

Guest Pacific Islander

WOW! A great thread.

Hafa adai ALL!

I don't normally chime in but I must say, this was great reading and learning. My hats off to everyone who assists those in our industry.

From where I come from (an island in the pacific), 20 + years in the industry, having dealt with several U.S factories, India, Korea, China, Japan etc... the bottom line is and where Howard really is correct and so is ///Man, CUSTOMER SERVICE. Period.

Having situations such as all those noted prior on practically a daily basis...everyone is correct from where you come from. Everyone needs to realize that. Howard has bested all the factories by simple servicing those who services the end user.

I have personally been laughed at many times at SEMA when I ask for film that fails. What's even more funny is when factory reps say their film doesn't. Now that's funny.

Anyway, we (here in the island) push product that fails, that lasts, that does what the customer expects it to do for what they are willing to pay. We educate and speak the truth...(to the customer) yes, this product is meant only for you to make your car look good to sell. It IS NOT meant to last more than a year. (to an new car owner) yes, this product will last at least 4 years here, spend more for a good warranty and save 4 years from now.

on and on, blah, blah, blah. All film fails. Speak the truth and service your customer with real sincerity = success.

Again, great post, preat people, great website...EXCELLENT JOB TintDude!

Archived