How that's TB working out for you?

OK - Here comes the Olive Branch:

I am sending The /// Man a refund check for the roll of TB. I am also sending him a gift certificate for dinner for 2 at the local Olive Garden, Red Lobster or whatever establishment he likes !!!

What do you say The /// Man??

-Howard

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sending The /// Man a refund check for the roll of TB. I am also sending him a gift certificate for dinner for 2 at the local Olive Garden, Red Lobster or whatever establishment he likes !!!

-Howard

Nah, I don't think you get it, lol. I'm neither upset, nor in need of a refund. Hell, you can take your wife out for a night on the town with the refund check if you like. I think all of this has blown way out of proportion. I just wish I knew then what I know now, that is all.

Nah, I don't think you get it, lol. I'm neither upset, nor in need of a refund. Hell, you can take your wife out for a night on the town with the refund check if you like. I think all of this has blown way out of proportion. I just wish I knew then what I know now, that is all.

OK The /// Man. The offer is open to you at any time.

I agree with Booms. I also think you handled the customer very well.

I am only being persistent in my requests for the pic as it would demonstrate the phenomenon known as metamarism. The colorists that work in the R&D labs design those film colors to be viewed in natural daylight without the presence of artificial lights, backgrounds, etc. When you view a piece of film under those conditions, you are looking at the "designed color".

If at all possible, please post that.

-Howard

Edit = Grammar (bad today).

The thing I love about forums is you get peoples experiences and opinions on products, so you can make the decision to agree with some that a product sux or take it for a matter of opinion and find out for yourself. I think that all THE//MAN was really trying to do, just to give a heads up on what to expect. I too was a little frustrated that my TB didn't last and I too felt kinda unwarned and went into blind.

I also went into TB assuming it was color stable, but once Howard let me know that there are other CS options, I was at ease then. I won't install a Non-color stable film, but thats me. IMO, cheap film is like cheap reman parts, your warned that they somtimes fail quickly or just don't last as long, but some customers don't care.

Edit: spelling from typing 50wpm

Guest tintjackal
But not good enough for Captain Obvious..........

:D

:D

I see a chink in the armor for EWF

Hi Tintjackal,

Armor?? You're kidding right??? I probably rank among the top posters on these boards for admitting errors !!!!

Look at my Avitar !!!! Ready ! Shoot !! Aim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Howard

Edit = Grammar

Forums are forums, posts are hard to express yourself or read from the others standpoint. I guess what Im trying to say is you dont normally let things get to you and this one did. I dont think THE//Man meant any harm and you are trying to make him look like a fool and my opinion is he is not. Let it go Booms is right you have an awesome reputation :thumb

Guest Crackz

i am a lifer to EWF we love the true smoke line all of our tinters do too if howard cares to tell you how much we use a yr he is more than welcome to post that info ... we took on true black for a while and had some of the same issues and we continue to use the true smoke and nr char lines and commercial and residential line and love them any true black user that was not happy try out the true smoke

-Howard

Not blown out of proportion. All distributors offer some chitty films. Most sales folks won't share the truth if the dealer wants the least expensive. Most distributor sales only care about increasing their sales numbers. Some sales folks offer a good-better-best with all color stable films, which is the best way to go. They may have the generation 1 dyed films or worse to offer, but are helpful with their dealer base with good suggestions and guide their dealers about what to avoid.

TB has had never ending hoopla here and positive references from very questionable sources. You've shown a good example of what to expect if you offer this film. It at best is a 1 year warranted offering. It is far from a business building film. Yet it has been entirely defended here. Thanks for verifying what many of us aready knew and were waiting for ----- a real life experience with pictures to expose! :thumb

a real life experience with pictures to expose! :thumb

If The /// Man would please post the described pic, you would be very surprised at how different that film looks in daylight. I already know because we aged the film repeatedly and beta tested it before the launch. I have pics that I could post, but it's better if one of you guys put it up here so there is no suggestion of impropriety.

If you take a look at his outdoor pic however, glance at the top portion which has the sky as the backdrop. That section of film looks quite OK.

The pictures are very unflattering and unfair to that film. It was designed to be viewed in daylight without white backdrops, fluorescent lighting, etc.

-Howard

Guest scottydosnntkno

ATT- You also cannot say that a film is bad simply because it didn't work for one person in one situation.

New Mexico is arguably one of the worst climates for film, comparable to arizona nevada and florida. Any non-color stable film out there is going to exhibit similar characteristics. In the same time frame? That is a question that cannot be answered. But it will happen.

Speaking from my personal experience, I have been using TB as my non-cs line for a little over 2 years, and have yet to have one customer come back complaining or even mentioning the color. But, in all truthfullness, I also have never seen any of the cars I tinted with it again aside from my personal vehicles/family cars. I will say that I installed the 5/20 on my car from day one of receiving it, and the same film is still on there to this day. There is no noticeable color shift or black edges on the windows. But, again, this is in the Michigan climate.

Now, in the same climate I've used/seen Solar Gard NR Smoke turn PURPLE in under a year. Imagine what The Man is posting, but purple instead of brown. Dark edges all around and purple in the middle. I must say that for a 3 year film I expected more from it, as we are a moderate climate compared to others. I wouldn't want to see that film in the southern climates.

At the end of the day, TB works for me and my company in my climate. Take it for what its worth, but my "review" of TB is all positive coming from an installer in a moderate climate. I would probably be in the same position as the man if I was in the south, but you never know.

I think the moral of the story here, not for the old guys but the new and future members who will read this thread is this:

1. Understand what film you are installing and what its warranty does/doesn't cover, as well as the characteristics of the film.

2. Do not sell a non-CS film as CS. You will lose, every time.

3. You cannot have everything for nothing. The old addage of Quality and Low Price applies. Pick one, but you can't have both. TB is a testament to that in that it is a great entry level film for a very low price, but you sacrifice "quality" in the color stable aspect. But again, its not sold as a CS film so that is expected.

For those new guys starting out, the film you pick will heavily impact your shops reputation. If you choose a product like TB, and sell it as "lifetime warranty", it will come back to bite you one day. But, it makes a GREAT entry level film. I have 4 levels of film I sell (well, 5). True Black (non-cs), Classic 1.2(QDP) (color stable/lifetime), HP, full metal, and then ceramic(the 5th). Classic 1.2 costs me $4/car more than TB does, but I sell it for $25/more. Virtually everyone goes for the upgrade. For those who don't go for the upgrade, they still get a great non-cs film that will last longer(in my climate) than other comparable films which cost a lot more.

Archived