Cut or Tuck @ the gasket

Guest jcoe

i hate pulling panels and trimming 1/4 glass, and i have found out every car is diffrent.

1st gen VW bug, must pull panels and gaskets

equnox, pull upper ruber gaskets, and tucking film in lower gasket,

ford P/U, lifting top pannel and pulling lower gasket, taping side felt gaskets, keping the purity

dodge magnum, pull screws from rear pannel, pulling lower gasket

camery's doubble tucking toyota left lots of room to tuck the bottom gasket

rule of thumb of the rubber gasket is very tight and hard to get the red devel behind the gasket u might want to understand the quickness and ease pulling panels, and if not pulling pannals, taking chances on crimping and not tucking the film properly and could have a comeback customer telling u that the film poped lose at the bottom.

its great when the films just fals right in place and tucks comfortably behind all the gaskets with ease,

but their are a couple difacult cars that is a must to pull pannels and pulling all of the gaskets.

try tinting the 95 Buick LaSaber, must pull plastic valance between front door, vent and roll up trimming 1/4" of rubber gasket, for easy instalation, keep on tinting understand your cars, makes, models, and how the window will roll down and needing extra film to fill in the gaps wen rolling down the glass,

tricky, tricky, tricky

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shady Solutions

seen a few cars done from shops that cut at the gasket and they just slowly start to peel up.(over years) i feel its safer just to pull that gasket out its like 3 screws. i like to know that it will never catch on the gasket.

Interesting.... To get an extra 1/8 inch past the top of the door panel's window gasket you need to pull the door panel.

Oh now I figured out why you are confused. You know the gasket you are reffering to. Well there is another gasket just like it about a 1/2 below the gasket you are tucking your film under.

I remove the door panel to insure that the film gets below both of the inner window gaskets.

Still not saying you are wrong for not pulling door panel's. I have my way and your have yours. Now lets just agree to disagree, before your blow your door gasket alltogether. :beer

Exactally! How many cars/trucks have a second gasket you would never know if you didnt pull the panel. I now always pull panels. Try doing without pulling and have your bottom edge lay between the both and not fully sealed and guess what? Rip! 07 newer GM trucks plus newer Toyota trucks all have dual seals. Ive tried doing both trucks without removing panels and never got a good/reliable result. Or cut a little longer and try to pass the second seal and bunches up. I kicked myself in the ass for just not pulling in the first place. Not for everyone but at least for me I know better to take a few minutes extra and its done right the first time. Again not for everyone.

I've never pulled a 07 gm/chev or never door panel , hundreds of them,have never had a comeback and very very clean work. saved a ton of wasted time pulling the panel collectively. How?

Gasket wizard! A classic senerio where this tool saves so much time.

The gasket wizard just kinda pulls back the top gasket a little? I have heard mixed reviews on it and just ordered some carpet shields. Might still pick up the gasket wizard.

What does it mean "cut the gasket"? Do some people actually cut some of the top gasket off?!?!

Archived