Cut or Tuck @ the gasket

Guest jcoe

:beer

Hey,  I learned to tint by pulling panels and tucking film behind gaskets.  I know this can be time consuming in some situations but I saw a guy marry the film to the glass and ran his red dot right across the (top) gasket.  He cut all of the access which I would have tucked.  It seemed REALLY quick.  It almost made me feel stupid for fighting all those fingers and tucking all that film. Does anyone else do that or have an opinion on this.  I'm just wondering trying to learn as many tricks as possible.

learn to tuck the gasket and it will save you time. will not ever have to remove to door panel ever again ... there might be a time or too you might have to pop off a panel . i think i have only taken a door panel off about twice in my 20 years of tinting

How bout this: Learn to do both and you'll know what's easier when you approach each car!! :dunno just saying!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GottaWearShades

There are four types of window styles as it pertains to automotive glass -

1. Fixed glass, which may or may not have impedence to access, such as brake lights.

2. Swing out glass, which may or may not have hardware, which impedes installation of window film around the hardware.

3. Roll-down glass that rolls to the the top of the door panel.

4. Roll-down glass that rolls down partially.

There are four types of window gaskets visible at the top of door panels, not door frames as per this discussion -

1. Gaskets that are wide and flexible that are easily tucked down and easily flipped back up.

2. Gaskets that are thin and less flexible that can be tucked down that may or may not flip back up.

3. Gaskets that are thin and somewhat firm that can be tucked down but will not flip back up on their own.

4. Gaskets that are very firm and cannot be tucked down due to material type or clearance issues.

No one has bothered to ask how to tint without removing door panels during this thread, so I'll let that tidbit of categorization be challenged.

After a certain point, few people change... My approach to window tinting has always been a minimalist attitude. To do the job with maximum results with minimum effort. If you vibe with that, then you'll be receptive to my point of view.

That's it.

There are four types of window styles as it pertains to automotive glass -

1. Fixed glass, which may or may not have impedence to access, such as brake lights.

2. Swing out glass, which may or may not have hardware, which impedes installation of window film around the hardware.

3. Roll-down glass that rolls to the the top of the door panel.

4. Roll-down glass that rolls down partially.

There are four types of window gaskets visible at the top of door panels, not door frames as per this discussion -

1. Gaskets that are wide and flexible that are easily tucked down and easily flipped back up.

2. Gaskets that are thin and less flexible that can be tucked down that may or may not flip back up.

3. Gaskets that are thin and somewhat firm that can be tucked down but will not flip back up on their own.

4. Gaskets that are very firm and cannot be tucked down due to material type or clearance issues.

No one has bothered to ask how to tint without removing door panels during this thread, so I'll let that tidbit of categorization be challenged.

After a certain point, few people change... My approach to window tinting has always been a minimalist attitude. To do the job with maximum results with minimum effort. If you vibe with that, then you'll be receptive to my point of view.

That's it.

I think it was establshed much earlier in this thread that you are wrong.

gottawear, film can be tucked behind or under gaskets without pulling panels and it can be done cleanly as well. That is not the issue here, all of this started with your first post of saying anyone who pulls panels is an amature. I know guys who pull panels, guys who tuck gaskets and guys who tuck film behind or under gaskets. There are different ideas of why to do these type of installs just like there is different ideas on which soap to use. I use baby shampoo being that its PH levels are alot lower and in "my oppinion" is not as harsh on the adhesive as most dish soaps that have degreasers in them.

Archived