Prestige Spectra PhotoSync

I installed some last year for a customer and it shrank and installed great. I used their 65 on my windshield and I can say it is holding up nicely. Now as far as heat numbers it's not much better then Llumar CTX (what I carry). I tested the btu on the photoSync 30 and Llumar CTX and they were very close with the Sync winning. I would like to test them again and see if their film will hold at that level.

For the price I can buy CTX for a lot less with marginal number difference.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree.. great tool for comparing films. Id love to get my hands on a sample of it, just to see where it stands

Given the cost of the unit (800-900$), that might be an unfilled wish. If you have a sales rep from Eastman that comes around, they might have one.

Best to test all glass and all films before using it with a client, since it has the potential to show a favored film having less than stellar performance compared with what is thought to a great value over a competitive product. You wouldn't want to rain on your own sales pitch for sure.  :embar

They're #1 Film is only available if someone else in your area is not using it. So you cant even buy if someone has territory rights, I would invest in a "name brand" and that you can buy without being exclusive especially when its a film that nobody knows about, and probably manufactured overseas somewhere, i've seen this film reset to its "original" color after 24 hours , i would be interested to offer to customers when film is more stable during reset process. 

Agree.. great tool for comparing films. Id love to get my hands on a sample of it, just to see where it stands

Given the cost of the unit (800-900$), that might be an unfilled wish. If you have a sales rep from Eastman that comes around, they might have one.

Best to test all glass and all films before using it with a client, since it has the potential to show a favored film having less than stellar performance compared with what is thought to a great value over a competitive product. You wouldn't want to rain on your own sales pitch for sure.  :embar

I did buy one and it was about $900. I use it to test new films and also to test existing film when I do a removal. I always like to show the customer that we are upgrading them and prove it. That tool clearly points out the IR spectrum that 3M favors and how they miss the other part. The tool shows that they block almost 99% in the 980-1000 but only about 85% for the rest. Im curious how the spectra film would test.

^ Yes it's better than Huper Optik. I feel it's a bit over rated. I mean yes it does block a lot of heat but it's not all that much than the f1 pinnacle while costing more.

I can prove to you the performance #'s of Huper Optik's ceramic films with 3rd party nationally recognized testing. Can you or anyone for that matter substantiate the performance #'s of Prestige Photosync... :dunno

If so, then we can talk about durability next.

I don't have any #'s, I just go by my "butt dyno" so to say. I'm just someone who went through many different brands of tint trying to find one that blocks the most heat without being too dark. I've tried huper optik, vkool, f1 pinnacle, llumar air blue, and many other lesser brands and have found the photosync tint to block the most heat. Actually I feel the heat rejection is similar to vkool. I had vkool 40 all around and 70 on windshield on one of my previous cars and now photosync 45 and 70 on windshield and it feels pretty close. I like photosync more because it's not reflective like vkool, I got pulled over for the 40% tint :(  Don't get me wrong, huper optik is good, I just didn't feel it block as much heat as the photosync tint. I had huper optik 60% on my windshield and 30% all around and was not happy with the amount of heat I felt through the windows and windshield while with the 70% photosync I felt much less heat when driving facing the sun on a hot summer day. I've had the photosyn tint on my car for over 2 1/2 years now and it's still holding strong, even with the extra layer of tint I put over it because I wanted darker but didn't want to remove the photosync. I didn't keep huper long enough to see their durability because I wasn't happy with the tint but I'm sure they will last pretty long.

Funny story tho, I went to a pretty popular tint shop in my area to get the sunroof tinted with huper optik and the owner asked me what tint I have now. These were the same guys that installed huper optik and llumar air blue on my previous cars. Told them about the tint and they've never heard of it before. He brought a heat lamp to test and he was surprised how much heat it blocked (this was before the second layer of tint). After a few months, I see they're now offering photosync tint as their top of the line tint at their shop.

^ Yes it's better than Huper Optik. I feel it's a bit over rated. I mean yes it does block a lot of heat but it's not all that much than the f1 pinnacle while costing more.

I can prove to you the performance #'s of Huper Optik's ceramic films with 3rd party nationally recognized testing. Can you or anyone for that matter substantiate the performance #'s of Prestige Photosync... :dunno

If so, then we can talk about durability next.

I don't have any #'s, I just go by my "butt dyno" so to say. I'm just someone who went through many different brands of tint trying to find one that blocks the most heat without being too dark. I've tried huper optik, vkool, f1 pinnacle, llumar air blue, and many other lesser brands and have found the photosync tint to block the most heat. Actually I feel the heat rejection is similar to vkool. I had vkool 40 all around and 70 on windshield on one of my previous cars and now photosync 45 and 70 on windshield and it feels pretty close. I like photosync more because it's not reflective like vkool, I got pulled over for the 40% tint :(  Don't get me wrong, huper optik is good, I just didn't feel it block as much heat as the photosync tint. I had huper optik 60% on my windshield and 30% all around and was not happy with the amount of heat I felt through the windows and windshield while with the 70% photosync I felt much less heat when driving facing the sun on a hot summer day. I've had the photosyn tint on my car for over 2 1/2 years now and it's still holding strong, even with the extra layer of tint I put over it because I wanted darker but didn't want to remove the photosync. I didn't keep huper long enough to see their durability because I wasn't happy with the tint but I'm sure they will last pretty long.

Funny story tho, I went to a pretty popular tint shop in my area to get the sunroof tinted with huper optik and the owner asked me what tint I have now. These were the same guys that installed huper optik and llumar air blue on my previous cars. Told them about the tint and they've never heard of it before. He brought a heat lamp to test and he was surprised how much heat it blocked (this was before the second layer of tint). After a few months, I see they're now offering photosync tint as their top of the line tint at their shop.

Funny... I find that "method" tends to be subjective... no two butts are alike so what you are trying to tell an entire forum is that your butt knows what the best films is. That is not data, it is opinion. Pardon the pun but... I see a hole in your reasoning.

You doubled up your film, of course it is going to feel better than if it were single layer. It might even feel better when you compare it to films that are not doubled up. How much did that all cost you? A grand... at least? Can you compare it to a traditional film installation? Not really. Most consumers buy a single layer of installed film.

The company that manufactures photochromatic film products wanted to license the technology to us years ago and we asked 'how long does the adaptive vlt last and they said 5 years. So according to the mfg, you have about another 2.5 years left before the chemicals that activate the SAC in this product stop working. Save your paperwork or you will have to spend another $1k to get your car tinted. :twocents

My point is that even if your opinion was correct and the Photosync 70 performed better than all of these other products you mentioned, then what good is a fast horse that can only race for 5 years? Regardless though, the data that all of these reputable industry leading window film manufacturing companies have published says otherwise. Many of which use 3rd parties to validate their data. That is a butt test that I trust... and coincidentally so do a lot of other agencies that deal with energy transmission. 

Prestige Film Technologies... Who are they?

I like the footnote at the bottom of Photosync's performance data:

photo_auto_sph_chart2.jpg

*Due to the unique properties of our Solar Adaptive Coating, conventional method of measuring SHGC and SC can only be provided within a range.

Translation = We do not use a conventional method of measuring and therefore have no accountability and can post whatever numbers we want.  :pirate

To finish your story... Yes, they did pick up Photosync. Now they have since switched back to Huper at one store and over to Rayno at the other store where the market is cheaper. I agree with you, it is a funny story... :thumb

Archived