First roof wrap help needed

Guest Chris Bottrell

Guest Chris Bottrell

Hi people, Great forum, would like some advice, i have wrapped the roof of my car in carbon vinyl and it all went well untill the last bit when the vinyl cracked and went horribly wrong! i have another length to cover it up, would this be the best way using knifeless tape? thanks in advance.  Chris 

1.JPG2.JPG

Guest Chris Bottrell

I used a unbranded wrap from ebay, i have used this brand before with no problems but this batch was weak towards the end and the seller is not forthcoming with replacing it! think i may have to start again using 3m 

Very interesting that the film  extends well  onto the glass border trim. Most noticeable on the right side of the photo.

The elements have gotten under it and destroyed the film.

I'd bet money that primer was not used either.

This looks like a DIY gone wrong.

Wow! You wont have this happen with a good quality vinyl. I woulld always advise against cheap vinyl, sure it can look similar but how do you trust the adhesive that is used. Would be very nervous of removing it hoping it will not pull the clear coat/paint off with it. There is a reason quality vinyl costs what it does, sure they make a profit but the testing and backing they give for use on vehicles is enough to help me sleep at night after i have finished a customers car.

Also with proper cleaning and atleast two pairs of hands you should be able to stretch the vinyl onto a roof like that with no wrinkles and a simple squeegee down, trim/tuck to finish. No primer needed.

Good luck and definitely redo

Archived